Sendai Yasuri

Steves87

Hello all, 

There is a Tsuba for auction currently which has me questioning the surface texture. It seems both sides are similar and I was wondering if I could get confirmed that it is a purposeful form of Sendai Yasuri finish and not just 'scratches'? 

Amida Yasuri has a few forms and is quite common, but I rarely (if ever) see the vertical Yasuri.

In keeping with the rules of ongoing auctions (I hope I'm within the rules) I have taken screen captures which I hope will be clear enough instead of linking to the auction.

I'd love for others to post their Sendai Yasuri or Amida Yasuri Tsuba if they want to.

Screenshot_20200927-183748_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200927-183825_eBay.jpg

20 minutes ago, Steves87 said:

There is a Tsuba for auction currently which has me questioning the surface texture. (...)

In keeping with the rules of ongoing auctions (I hope I'm within the rules) I have taken screen captures which I hope will be clear enough instead of linking to the auction.

I was not aware that the forum rules forbid linking to ongoing auctions. Isn’t there a whole section of the forum dedicated to such discussions?

Dear Stephen.

I think you have answered your own question by posting those other examples.  I don't think the first tsuba you posted has much to recommend it and I think what we are seeing are scratches.

By the way, glad to see that you got that third tsuba, I like it, but I don't think the surface is produced by filing and perhaps is not therefore Amida yasurime in the strict sense.

All the best.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PietroParis said:

I was not aware that the forum rules forbid linking to ongoing auctions. Isn’t there a whole section of the forum dedicated to such discussions?

I thought there was a rule, but I now cannot find it and possible it was the rule of another forum. I am aware of the other sub section for auctions, but as well as answering the query of the auction Tsuba above, I also was hoping to get a bit more info/examples of the vertical Yasuri theme. I was of the mind I may get a few more replies and examples in the Tosogu section.

Geraint, I thought as much. What threw me off was a google images search with similar 'scratches' on Sendai Yasuri examples (google examples). That and both sides had a similar lines in same direction, which would indicate being slid over something, but usually, something being slid over will only have scratches one side.

The third Tsuba as most, probably noticed, had been for sale for quite some time. Tempting and haunting me since I first saw it and then after almost two years, I was able to finally acquire it. People say "you don't choose Tsuba, they choose you"

• Like 2

Thank you Mauro, a good range of different examples, from neat to not so neat! I am strangely drawn to the second papered example and I really love your own mokko example.

I looked into where I had found the name "Sendai" it was actually from a list of Japanese terminology described in english (which was based on Tsuba terms by Jim Gilbert?). on further investigation of the name this morning, I could only find the names like you say, mostly 'Shigure' pop up and Sendai was not used anywhere else. So I apologise for adding extra confusion with a likely incorrect naming.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..