Odd sized Matchlock

OK, that's very nice to know. :thumbsup: Although strictly 11 monme I am sure, guns of this size are referred to as Shizutsu (Bushi or Samurai guns) and are generally described  as 十匁筒 Ju-Monme-zutsu, or 10 Monme guns. Everyone then knows what you mean. All guns around 5,6,7 Monme are similarly rounded off and described as 六匁筒 '6-Monme guns'. For Ashigaru? Yours looks like a very healthy example. The very expression "10 Monme zutsu" sounds weighty and powerful, and is more a rank than a mathematical measurement. "11 Monme" in common parlance sounds strange, in Japanese anyway. I know Gary because I tried to tell everyone my "6 Monme" is actually 7.5 Monme. Blank stares all round. 🤷‍♂️

The weight probably accounts for the shorter barrel, although 7 lb (3 kg) sounds way too light for a 10/11 Monme gun. A puzzle.

PS Have you checked for a Mei under the barrel? ...Oh, and how did you get it to stand up like that!?!?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..