Tanto What do I have here?

For the record, I wasn't saying it is Umetada. I was saying that it is not unpatinated copper. It is very much patinated and of the same colur and style Umetada used. In other words, if this is unpatinated copper, then so is the Umetada work. Which of course it isn't.
There is no way the filemarks would be left that crudely accidentally. when it is so easy to make them go away when doing the work.
Not that it matters. Still a lovely set.

Adam, accidentally or not....you often sound like someone who has made a lowball offer on something in private and is now trying to justify it. Coincidence or not...think about that when you respond to items posted for opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken-Hawaii said:

Adam, why don't you agree to disagree? As a Professional Engineer for the past 50+ years, I just don't see what you do.

And as a professional engineer for a similar length of time I'm astonished that you do not ken. Perhaps you didn't see the latest images the OP posted. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Adam, accidentally or not....you often sound like someone who has made a lowball offer on something in private and is now trying to justify it. Coincidence or not...think about that when you respond to items posted for opinion.

All I noticed was that something wasn't quite right. And the images posted by the OP agree with me. 

It was just an observation nothing more until everyone else blew it out of proportion. 

I have not made any offer, this might be the way others work but it's not the way I do. 

I was right on my assumptions yet not one of you can admit to being wrong. That shows a certain lack of strength of character does it not? 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

All i have read is your opinions Adam.

None that have been proved correct except in you mind.

Your absolutely right. 

Picture 1 slot finishing was created by the artisan. 

Picture 2 slot finishing was also created by the artisan. 

I stand corrected. 

Please ignore my previous statement and absolute ignorance. 

Picture 1 is indeed just wear and tear.

_20200927_013549.JPG

_20200927_013615.JPG

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

The area in question is exposed unless the knife or tool is removed. The back side of the knife and tool also have rough file marks and are not finished like the the eposed metal.  They are not exposed unless removed.  Is this normal?  Actually both sides are like the rough side pictured, the lighting just did not pick it up. 

No need to sign all posts anymore. On the left, under location...everyone should show their name. I assume everyone can see it?

Not on cell phone... Guess ill check themes.

Edit. So his name is not seen on my cell under any theme.

Edited by Stephen

Not to get too off topic...
But if you select a text colour, it will choose that colour for everyone, no matter what their them is. So just writing in the usual black is best, as that will auto change depending on the reader's theme.
Of course, if you can't read something, just highlight it with the mouse. Easy.
The easiest is one theme for everyone. But that leads to arguments. So I need more than one, and that comes with some irritations we need to deal with. Nothing serious.

• Like 2

Super Nice tanto and mounts although It might be fair to add that the mei looks Gimei so doesn't appear to be by the Smith it's claiming to be.

The kozuka slot in the Fuchi on one side may have been added at a later time.

You can see the rough file marks and the way it's not quite in line with the tool slot edges,it's just not wide enough. It's also filed almost through the copper Fuchi.

This would not happen on copper on copper wear as both materials are of equal strength and hardness.

It's no big deal but any shinsa will note that and determine the set is not a set and fail to paper it.

The files are so deep there's no coming back from it without major work and cost and of course everyone on here will disagree with my theory.

In fairness it could be that the slot was too small and needed opening up but if this were the case then why does the ”new" work not line up with the slots thickness as the other side does?

In my humble opinion this Fuchi has been adapted crudely and the saya is a later addition albeit historic and the kojiri was totally different ergo it's not on the end anymore of what is clearly a well respected tanto set.

This is all speculation but based on sound engineering principles and the evidence as seen.

Thank you for sharing it with us Michael.

• Downvote 2

There are 10 generations of Owari Masatsune this would be the last 2 they did not get titles and made very thick tanto I have had all the generations

the one you showed in the photo was 3rd generation. I am sure this is a complete and original Shin-shinto 9th or 10th generation Masatsune 

Fred Geyer    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Babu said:

Super Nice tanto and mounts although It might be fair to add that the mei looks Gimei so doesn't appear to be by the Smith it's claiming to be.

The kozuka slot in the Fuchi on one side may have been added at a later time.

You can see the rough file marks and the way it's not quite in line with the tool slot edges,it's just not wide enough. It's also filed almost through the copper Fuchi.

This would not happen on copper on copper wear as both materials are of equal strength and hardness.

Just wondering about the Kozuka blade Adam ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..