Translation of the Nakago

Michael  67

Thanks Michael, the fittings are exactly what we would expect for a star-stamped RJT blade.  The painted-canvas same' is often seen in the late-war Rinji.  I don't know if it is due to lack of rayskin or if it was considered more hardy for combat befitting the purpose of the whole Rinji seishiki model design.

Many, but not all, of the RJT blades had stamped numbers.  Again, another mystery, as some match numbers on the metal fittings, where others don't.  Your open heart stamp on the seppa is only the second one I've seen!  It must be a koshirae shop logo, but as of yet, an Unknown.  Thanks for the pictures!

• 7 months later...

I think this smith is Ittōsai Masakiyo (一刀斎正清) whose real name was Kobayashi Kiyoharu (小林清).

In Shōwa 17 he entered the Nihontō Tōshin Seiren-jo (日本刀東神精錬所).

My guess is that he used the name Masaharu during this time, but later changed to Masakiyo. 

https://tokka.biz/sword/masakiyo.html

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2020 at 11:43 AM, vajo said:

That burlap same was dipped in wachs and is typical for nagamitsu gendaito. I think it was made for a better grip to fix the ito and higher water resistance.

Very nice sword Michael.

I have seen these RJT fitted Swords referred to as Nagamitsu swords before. Is that just the style of the mountings? I currently have two, one with Stingray Sa-me and one with the waxed burlap.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..