Diplomat Sword

DTM72

I stumbled upon a sword for sale near me that I am unable to match to any of the diplomat swords in Fuller & Gregory Military Swords of Japan. It seems to fall into the category of Diplomat sword, but the decorations are different than any of the pics in the book. (Dragonfly). The one side of the hand guard looks to have half of the police rising sun emblem. Just wondering if anyone has any additional info on this. Nihonto is my main collection, but I can get this fairly cheap to broaden my collection.

Much Appreciated in Advance!

diplo 1.jpg

diplo 2.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael T said:

Type 19 field grade court style army sword

I found the pages in Dawson's book (47-50).  Michael has it right.  It exactly matches the Field grade Type 19 Court-styled Army sword.  The floral ornamentation on the bands near the handguard, as well as above and below the dragonfly, are what sets it apart from the company grade.

Thanks for posting, this was a nice learning experience!

Court-style Army Sword 3.jpg

Court-style Army Sword 4.jpg

I also have Dawson's book, but it was stuck under many other Japanese sword reference books. i will admit, the Fuller & Gregory book was closer to the top, and thicker, so I only looked through that one reference. I gotta quit being so lazy. lol

I think I will probably pass on this deal due to the scabbard missing the brass covering on the end, literally letting the blade stick out.

13 hours ago, Smee78 said:

Welcome to the board Dan. I don't know anything about the sword but look forward to hearing more about it.

Hey Ron! i see you are also native to South Carolina. I am just outside of Charleston. Where are you located? I'm always looking for others to share info with and help with collections.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..