Armor created for the coronation of the Emperor Taishō

Tonkotsu

Thank you for help with the Kuwagata and sune-ate. I was never under the illusion that armor was created for the Royal Family. I bought this armor from Mark Walberg who explained that it was made to be worn for a parade. Armor made in 1912 would be a reproduction of Edo armor. All of the metal parts are made from 18 Ga. steel.

Hello Dick,

The armour was manufactured by a company called Marutake Sangyo CO,LTD, they started manufacturing armour in the 1960's, primarily for film/tv. Given that it was purchased 15 years ago and that some of the features are still in production today I would say that it likely dates to the 90's.

• Thanks 2

From what I can see, having worn some of their armour over the years, I would have to agree with T.Sinclair above. Marutake are still going strong. This must be down to their efforts on all levels, both back in the factory and also going out into the regions and studying pieces of old armours there.

Thomas,

Thank you for the information on Marutake Sangyo CO,LTD. I think that you are correct thinking that they made the armor. When I bought the armor I was buying a decorative piece not an antique since a date of 1912 for a Japanese piece is hardly antique. The auction catalog stated the piece was Taishō. When I examined the armor closely I did question some aspects of the decorations on the metal work. The decorations were die struck rather than hand engraved and chased and the box is made of plywood. The rest of the armor is beautifully made of very high quality. I am very aware of quality workmanship since I am a sculptor who uses many Japanese metalworking techniques and materials. The least expensive armor on the Marutake website is priced at more than twice what I paid for my armor so I am not unhappy. Thank you again for your information.

Dick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..