Is this wakizashi legit?

Jonathan,

welcome to the NMB!

This WAKIZASHI looks like a perfectly authentic one (no copy), but it is in bad condition. The HANDACHI KOSHIRAE (sheath and metal parts) might have been attractive at one time, but the TSUKA-ITO (handle binding) has probably been replaced (non-traditionally). The sheath is damaged, the shoe-lace covers probably some defects. The TSUBA is a late cast copy, if I am seeing this right.

The blade is original and has some age ( mid-EDO?) but has some damage which would not make it desirable for some collectors. 

If this is your first blade and in case this should be offered at a very low price (200 - 300 $), you may go for it. But you should consider that you will not learn much from it in this stage of preservation, and a competent repair/polish will cost a fortune in comparison. On the other hand, any attempt to 'renovate' it yourself will very probably destroy it or at least diminish its actual value.  

• Like 2

I agree there is nominal value in the handachi fittings but the blades got some big deep flaws that I would walk away from if its more than $200-300 maximum. 

I would only buy it for the fittings not the blade but the saya has some real damages. 

1 hour ago, Babu said:

I agree there is nominal value in the handachi fittings but the blades got some big deep flaws that I would walk away from if its more than $200-300 maximum. 

I would only buy it for the fittings not the blade but the saya has some real damages. 

Thanks for this info. The guy is wanting $675 for it. I thought that was a good deal but according to you guys that would still be over paying. How much would you say a professional polishing of this blade would cost? Would a professional polishing bring out the blade's hamon/temper line? This would be my first traditional blade if I decided to go for it. (I have three type 95s, one type 32, one type 19 dress sword, and a bunch of bayonets.)
As for the mountings, what you are saying is the handle binding and hand guard (sorry still learning the terminology) are most likely not original. correct? The rest of the mounting look original?

Thanks again for the reply. I am excited to finally have an opportunity to post in these message boards.

1 hour ago, Babu said:

Wow really that low huh? The guy is asking more than double that. I've never seen any traditional or imperial blades, other than bayonets, go for that cheap.
Is there any place where I can find Nihonto for this price, regardless of condition?

The blade has what appears to be a huge blister and is totally out of polish. 

Most Togoshi charge around £150 per inch to Polish. 

However it is extremely unlikely they will be able to remove flaws on a poorly forged blade like that huge blister . 

In fact they may even open up more flaws. 

I do not think I would part with that money for that sword. 

It's not the best way to spend your money but hey, it's your dollar, so you do what you like with it. 

When you come to sell it expect to lose serious money if your lucky enough to find someone interested in the sword. 

As a point of reference and I can only go by prices I've paid.

You can but a signed wakizashi in full polish for about $1000 in very tidy mounts 

I've one myself for $1100 that I'll list next week 

When you come to sell it because it's flawless and in good condition and polish you should get your money back and maybe a bit more.

Always look to buy at a price that if everything went wrong and you needed cash, you know you could sell the item in a hurry and get what you paid for it back.

That's just common sense.

45 minutes ago, Babu said:

As a point of reference and I can only go by prices I've paid.

You can but a signed wakizashi in full polish for about $1000 in very tidy mounts 

I've one myself for $1100 that I'll list next week 

When you come to sell it because it's flawless and in good condition and polish you should get your money back and maybe a bit more.

Always look to buy at a price that if everything went wrong and you needed cash, you know you could sell the item in a hurry and get what you paid for it back.

That's just common sense.

For real? I would much prefer to have a signed blade in better condition, even if it takes a few more dollars. Would like to have something that is at least pre Showa. Please send me some details on the sword and I will consider it.

Hi Jonathan,

1st, to reinforce what has been said already, don't buy this sword.  It is nothing anybody should want to collect and it is far too compromised to warrant restoration.  I suggest you buy your next sword after you have put some serious time into study.  If you wanted to collect old master oils you wouldn't start by going to a flea market; it is no different with Nihonto.  Only with knowledge can you understand and appreciate what you purchase.

Grey

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..