Naginata in Minnesota

YankeeAirPirate

On 9/21/2020 at 2:29 AM, parfaitelumiere said:

could be interesting to take high res pics of the polish, as this polish seems to be very old.
The rust doesn't seem to be so deep, good piece, just needing a pole now.

Attached.  This blade looks like it was used for junior soldier training in a rock pile!

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3107.jpg

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3106.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, YankeeAirPirate said:

The blade reminds me of the woman's ability to cut the heart out of the man.  

Troy-san. 
Beheading Holofernes. In Japan, it is said that a woman can hunt her sleeping neck. Scared...💀

Jacques-san.
There seems to be a little misunderstanding. Enbu shows kata according to the "伝書secrets book,目録 list " handed down from the founder of the school. It is done only a few times with a limited number of people to preserve the tradition.

The naginata-do association in Japan honestly writes that "The ratio of males to females, Very few males appear to be less than 5%."
The association is recruiting boys to improve the gender image of naginata-do, but with less success.
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/budo/51/Supplement/51_S_8/_pdf

592px-Judit_decapitando_a_Holofernes,_por_Artemisia_Gentileschi.jpg

sadly these are phone camer pictures, not hi resolution pictures, maybe you can ask someone you know who has some material, would be very interesting to study the old polish, was this a hadori or not, it seems hadori finish is not very old process, so I was asking myself what kind of finish was used during edo meiji period.

8 hours ago, parfaitelumiere said:

sadly these are phone camer pictures, not hi resolution pictures, maybe you can ask someone you know who has some material, would be very interesting to study the old polish, was this a hadori or not, it seems hadori finish is not very old process, so I was asking myself what kind of finish was used during edo meiji period.

12 hours ago, parfaitelumiere said:

Yes, very sad haha.  Only a mere 12MP photos.

I still think its amazing that we can own items like this, even if it is in less that perfect condition.  Its still a piece of history.  The armor display at Odawara Castle is what originally got me thinking that it would be amazing to own some of this.  It surprises me there is so much of it for sale.  Now to research enough to choose a few big categories of items, then find a great piece from each category to build myself a cool collection.  I also have a helmet, but its a rusty shell.  Very intricate but not all clean and pretty like I see for sale.  Haven't seen anything like my helmet for sale, only in pics.  Its in storage, will post when I get to it.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..