Naginata in Minnesota

YankeeAirPirate

I acquired this recently and think it is very cool!  Its got rust, pits, discoloring, and I don't care!  I like it and think its quite amazing to be able to have an item like this.  If you have an opinion, tell me the truth.  You won't hurt my feelings.  I know its in poor condition compared to some of the blades I see on this site.

IMG_3013.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3018.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

• Like 1

The sign is a little different from the second generation who  named "相模守 sagami_no_kami", so it may be the third generation.
The blades are considerably reduced by sharpening, becoming shorter and thinner. You can see that by comparing it with the shape of the sheath. Please save without cutting anything any more.

薙刀 相模守藤原広重 (naginata  sagami_no_kami fujiwara hiroshige)

https://www.e-sword.jp/sale/2014/1410_4010syousai.htm

naginata [sagami_no_kami fujiwara hiroshige].jpg

naginata [sagami_no_kami fujiwara hiroshige]b.jpg

4 hours ago, Yasaka Azuma said:

The sign is a little different from the second generation who  named "相模守 sagami_no_kami", so it may be the third generation.
The blades are considerably reduced by sharpening, becoming shorter and thinner. You can see that by comparing it with the shape of the sheath. Please save without cutting anything any more.

薙刀 相模守藤原広重 (naginata  sagami_no_kami fujiwara hiroshige)

https://www.e-sword.jp/sale/2014/1410_4010syousai.htm

naginata [sagami_no_kami fujiwara hiroshige].jpg

naginata [sagami_no_kami fujiwara hiroshige]b.jpg

Yes, I will not cut.  I think this is a great piece of history, not for me to cut up and change so I can have something shiny on display.  Non-abrasive polish oil only to slow any further corrosion.

2 hours ago, Babu said:

Am I right in assuming that during this period these were used by the woman not the men as its sleeker lighter dimensions suggest? 

Nice item I had an almost identical one in full polish 

_20200518_154944.JPG

_20200518_154722.JPG

I heard that these were sometimes used by women.  I'm not giving this to my wife.  She is Indonesian Chinese and already threatens to kill me if I look at another girl.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Babu said:

Look up on Google the third generation of this smith and your answer should be revealed. 

It's time for you to do a little bit of research yourself. 

I am almost there, needed to get some background.  I used to live in Zushi near Kamakura and can speak some Japanese but cannot read or write.  Very little useful information in English to find a real answer that I have come across yet.  Some input from Gaijin who are smart on the subject or local Japanese is invaluable.

You have your translation it's down to you now, this is part of the fun. 

Just asking for answers is not going to be an enjoyable way to research. 

Copy and paste this into a search engine 

sagami_no_kami fujiwara hiroshige. 

You don't have to find a naginata to research the smith he will have made swords. 

Hiroshige Shitahara is not a master craftsman, but the Imperial Japanese Army soldiers preferred to use a sword with the sign "猪廣重" as a Gunto.
Just as Japanese Navy officers liked the sword of "波平行安", it was a superstitious  language of Japan called "Rush recklessly".

The naginata used by the medieval armor samurai certainly seems to have been large. However, I do not know the detailed distinction between Naginata.
As is well known, the naginata-do from the early modern period to the present age belongs exclusively to women. It's reach is longer than bamboo or wood sword, so when a man against her, she hits her badly.😣
There is no gladiator who challenges the lady's naginata to free practice because his pride is lost.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yasaka Azuma said:

Hiroshige Shitahara is not a master craftsman, but the Imperial Japanese Army soldiers preferred to use a sword with the sign "猪廣重" as a Gunto.
Just as Japanese Navy officers liked the sword of "波平行安", it was a superstitious  language of Japan called "Rush recklessly".

The naginata used by the medieval armor samurai certainly seems to have been large. However, I do not know the detailed distinction between Naginata.
As is well known, the naginata-do from the early modern period to the present age belongs exclusively to women. It's reach is longer than bamboo or wood sword, so when a man against her, she hits her badly.😣
There is no gladiator who challenges the lady's naginata to free practice because his pride is lost.

Thank you for the reply.  When I look at this blade it reminds me of the Harajuku girl I dated in Tokyo.  

15 hours ago, YankeeAirPirate said:

Very little useful information in English to find a real answer that I have come across yet.  Some input from Gaijin who are smart on the subject or local Japanese is invaluable.

You couldn't be more wrong, Troy! I have over 200 references in my library, & I can't read Kanji at all. On-line, start with https://markussesko.com/kantei/

Markus is an NMB member & a prolific writer. He sells most of his books on Lulu.com (https://markussesko.com/books/)

8 hours ago, Ken-Hawaii said:

You couldn't be more wrong, Troy! I have over 200 references in my library, & I can't read Kanji at all. On-line, start with https://markussesko.com/kantei/

Markus is an NMB member & a prolific writer. He sells most of his books on Lulu.com (https://markussesko.com/books/)

That looks like a good resource.  My point was it might take me a long time to find that...but you were kind enough to show me the way!  Thanks!

6 hours ago, Yasaka Azuma said:

Guessing from your nickname or icon, are you Airman or something stationed in Japan? You seem to like Asian girls, but Japanese men like blonde beauties.🤩
Nevertheless, the sharp blade does not remind us of a woman's face. It's a difference in sensibility.

The blade reminds me of the woman's ability to cut the heart out of the man.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..