JSS/US NEWSLETTERS

Ed

Offering a large group of JSS/US newsletters.
This lot covers from 1980-2010. *NOTE, typo at the bottom of list should read 2020. 
There are a few issues missing, please see the following list for complete details.

Japanese Sword Society of the United States Newsletters:
Box size = 17” x 10” x 12” Weight 42 lbs.

image.png.089b84598ef0f047719aa05b5ef797e9.png

This group of books weighs 42 lbs., therefore I will restrict this lot to CONUS only as shipping outside CONUS would be cost prohibitive. Within CONUS shipping via "media mail" will cost approximately $30.

$150 plus S/H

*** No pm's please. If interested please contact me at: Yakiba.com@gmail.com
Image may contain: text that says "Japanese Sword Society of the United States, Inc. VOLUME 40 NO 4 August, 2008 5- NEWSLETTER The Official Publication of the Japanese Sword Society of the U.S.. Inc. Annual Membership $40 U.S., $45 Canada and $60 Foreign. Life Membership Available For Information Write: Box 513 Albuquerque,N 87103-0513 87103- U.S.A. JSSUS,"

Comment

• Like 1

OK. seems this did not work so far....

you should have my email...otherwise do post me a message again please.

i am interestet into the whole Lot...depending the shippimg costs to Germany...

thank you very much for providing me onto the total.... ( your´s cost in Total! )

me

On 9/18/2020 at 4:40 PM, christianmalterre said:

OK. seems this did not work so far....

you should have my email...otherwise do post me a message again please.

i am interestet into the whole Lot...depending the shippimg costs to Germany...

thank you very much for providing me onto the total.... ( your´s cost in Total! )

me

email sent

Now offered Worldwide.

Recently there was an inquiry on this set of books from Europe and I was asked to provide a shipping quote. 

Price options were checked for the three major carriers USPS, Fedex, and UPS.  

USPS was by far the cheapest.

Both online and counter options through USPS were explored, looking for the cheapest option.  

USPS offers a “first class mail” option but unfortunately it has a weight restriction of 4 lbs.

The only option is USPS priority mail due to the weight (42 lbs/105 kgs).  

The quote for Priority mail insured to Germany was $150 ($149.70).

I presume these newsletters could be shipped worldwide for approximately the same price.

Therefore, I have decided to lift their sale being restricted to CONUS and will now offer them worldwide.

I realize the shipping is not cheap however, if you consider what these newsletters cost with a membership to the JSS/US, they are still a bargain even with the added cost of shipping.

When these were issued a membership in the JSS/US was $40 ($60 foreign), that included 6 issues of the newsletter. Therefore, at the time each issue cost $6.66. (foreign $10.00 each).

These newsletters, including shipping costs, are being sold for approximately $2.14 each.

Considering the amount of information contained within these 140 newsletters, $2.14 apiece is still a great bargain.

Just curious....many years ago I bought some books and they were sent via some sort of media mail bag. Came in a huge mail bag, closed with wire. I know it was really cheap, and printed matter could be sent in it.
Just wondering if that was done away with?

On 9/24/2020 at 11:09 AM, Brian said:

Just curious....many years ago I bought some books and there were sent via some sort of media mail bag. Came in a huge mail bag, closed with wire. I know it was really cheap, and printed matter could be sent in it.
Just wondering if that was done away with?

Brian,

There is a media mail option within the US, which is downright cheap with what shipping costs these day.  I guess they did away with the option you refer to or at least for something so heavy.  I went to the counter and asked if there was any way to ship these books overseas any cheaper and was told yes and no.  Yes, there was an option but it had a weight restriction of 4 lbs.  So no, due to the weight.

Even Priority International "Flat Rate" has a weight limit of 20 lbs. and is $100.

I wish I could find a cheaper option.

I was curious enough to go and research a bit.
I think this is what it was: https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-is-M-bag-Service
https://www.rarebookhub.com/articles/265?id=265

I wonder if the post office even knows about this? Worth some enquiries Ed?

Edit to add: I see they are even available in the UK. I guess used so seldom most post offices have forgotten about them? Really really cheap.
http://www.mbagger.co.uk/m-bags/

M bag is a weird beast. It is defacto being phased out by the postal service. 10 years there were select few countries where the rates were about 10% compared to priority airmail, I am not sure if its still true today. Basically you have to drive to the main post office/sorting station in your area (often the airport), ask for m bags, ask for approximate quote, or maybe try to do that over the phone. Almost certainly it will come out comparable to priority or regular mail.

Kirill R.

I did some checking on M-Bags.  They still are in use but not by much.  They can be used only for books and periodicals and the like.  The items you're shipping have to be boxed before they're put into the bag and each box inside the bag must weigh no more than 4 pounds.  M-bags are not trackable and carry no insurance.

Not a great solution to any problem I can think of.

Grey

Seems like an ideal solution for low value bulk printed matter to me. Like newsletters. The size of the bag...trust me it isn't getting stolen or misplaced.
Also for stuff like people selling bulk lots of magazines (Your old Guns and Ammo or SOF magazines :glee:)
But yes..not for high end books or stuff that needs to be mint.

Yep,  I checked as well and while they are an option, they are not an inexpensive option.

Each book must be labeled and the total weigh of the M-bag cannot exceed 66 lbs.

Shipping the box of JSS/US Newsletters to Germany would cost $250 with no tracking or insurance via M-bag. 

Whereas Priority mail is $150.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..