Netsuke or What?

hddennis

Waiting for this to arrive by mail. Purchased as a netsuke but I thought it might be a water dropper for calligraphy. Any ideas what it is, time period, country of origin or what designs represent? It's 2 3/4 x 1 1/2 inches,

Thanks in advance for any help,

Howard Dennis 

Water Dropper 2.jpg

Water Dropper 3.jpg

Water Dropper 4.jpg

If it's about the size of the end of your thumb, then it's more likely to be an Ojime, judging by the holes above and below, i.e. a slide. Possibly imitating the shape of a 瓶子 Heiji/Heishi sake jar.  The pattern on the side can be seen as a (Hoshi-tsuki) Hanawa/Shippo Mon/Kamon design. This white ceramic is typical of Hirado or Imari/Arita, I think, but that's reaching the outer limits of my knowledge.

PS A sweet little object, either way, IMHO.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to both of you for replying.

Bugyotsuji,

thanks so much for  confirming the decoration and style are Japanese. I couldn't resist it for the same reasons you like it. Measuring 2 3/4 x 1 1/2 inches wouldn't it be to large for an Ojime?

Howard Dennis

Thanks again guys, It arrived today and the dimensions given were wrong it's 1 7/8 tall by 1 1/2 wide and quite heavy. The hole is straight through with solid walls no open interior space. The seller didn't picture the sides so this was a pleasant surprise. Any idea of where to obtain a suitable tassel to complete it?

Howard Dennis

Water Dropper 5.JPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..