Early-Mid 1700's Katana, Translation Needed!

ChrisW

Hey guys,

Been a while since I posted a blade, and while I am strapped for cash, this is a blade that I got in my trip to Arizona a while back from a gentleman by the name of Brian Quinn. A real stand-up guy and he sold this to me at a really fair price. Its fairly nice to look at and while the polish is not particularly great anymore, there's enough to enjoy. It measures 28.5" nagasa and has a mostly complete signature. I'll let the pictures do the talking since I am crap for words anyways.

What I'd like is a name attached to this blade and an opinion on the signature itself. Anything else is gravy!

20200828_143306.jpg

20200828_143353.jpg

20200828_143422.jpg

20200828_143444.jpg

• Like 1

BQ Knows his stuff suprised he didn't say smith.

If you have bright room hold at ceiling corner with a little bit of movement you should see the hamon pop out.

The more i look at the blade an not the ground the more im liking it. ;)

20200828_144253.jpg.5e959dfa1a41d9db14c672ef46ae50c4~2.jpg

Edited by Stephen
Crop rotate

Sorry I don't have time for a long answer.  My recollection is that he had two main periods of signing, one was called Kakumei and the other was Marumei, meaning square and round.  If I am not mistaken, the maru mei period was the one in which he mostly used Tsuda, and the signatures were quite flowing, almost like grass script.  I'm sure you can google Sukehiro signature examples and find lots of discussions about it.  Even looking in Fujishiro should make it clear.  

• Like 1

Still trying to capture a decent picture! Haven't given up yet. And upon hearing Sukehiro, I just assumed its gimei. The chance of me coming across a real one is approximately zero. 🤐

Regardless of it being gimei, I bought it for the workmanship which seems to be fairly high.

Also, quick question: does the signature contain some traces of gilding in it? It appears to be gold from my examination, I just assumed it was. Its definitely not a powder as I cannot remove it with a cotton swab and I am not aware of them using any kind of yellow lacquer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..