Playing with the truth

Spartancrest

I have to make a coment on the voracity of museum descriptions and how we should not blindly follow their interpretations. The McLean Museum and Art Gallery - Interclyde council [Scotland], has a rather unusual tsuba in its collection.

image.png.152b486b2a44d6cb93a24ce9f81e856a.png
"The tsuba is in the form of a rack holding a Japanese robe and hat, in gilded relief. There is gilding on both faces. Inscription one face. Signed: Shigeyoshi Umetada." [1981.134]

The Powerhouse/Museum of Applied Arts [Australia] has this as the ura side of a guard.

image.png.3a672ccab43722513a9fe9d3ca0aaa86.png

The description has this "The reverse of the tsuba has a relief of a shirt on a hanging implement." [A5308-101]

The final image will give you a clue as to what both guards are in fact representing.

image.png.f0d0f9af7aa50511e410b910775c3f93.png 

A childs balance toy. What is more damning of the description by the Powerhouse museum, is the fact that two toys are represented on the omote side.

• Like 3

The Bluffer's Guide to Curating.

I guess that museums have to write something, even if they are not sure what they are looking at, in the absence of the fuller or more satisfactory story.

In Barry's case, it is possible that the museum has specific people who can verify what visitors tell them, and who are allowed to go inside their displays. When you say 'never', Barry, some time must have passed after you told them, right?

Some years ago at the Hayashibara Museum of Art I noticed that the Sune'-ate' below a suit of the Lord's armour were the wrong way round, so I casually mentioned it to the lady at the entrance desk. No idea whether they subsequently adjusted them...

• Like 1

Robert.

It is a balance toy, the balls at the extremities are weighted so the centre of gravity is below the pivot point. I would guess it could still spin on the point if there were no obstructions. They are not unique to Japan of course. The tsuba design would not have worked if the weights were extended fully.

image.jpeg.f2e170a453c64c5cb6b12ab86028238c.jpeg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..