yet another theme question - this time akikusa and suzumushi

rkg

Hi again,

Here's another dumb theme question.  Does the combination of akikusa (fall flowers) and suzumushi (bell cricket) have a legend, story or some other meaning that they're both found in the fall?  Again, I'm trying to write up something, and...

Obligatory eye candy images of the theme:

kashira_comparison.thumb.jpg.e5a607c2ce29c05fb23fd573f1442ed2.jpg

Thanks in advance,

rkg

(Richard George)

• Like 1

The seven flowers of autumn are often depicted with the bell cricket (Suzumushi) 

Flowers are indigenous to Japan. Bush Clover hagi, Japanese Silver Grass susuki, Japanese Arrowroot kuzu, Pink nadeshiko, Valerian ominaeshi, Joe Pye Weed fujibakama, and Balloon Flower kikyo.

_20200621_002745.JPG

_20200703_180246.JPG

• Like 1

Ko-Mino and Mino f/k sets.   Same question applies to deer.

I associate the bell crickets more with late Momoyama Ko-mino on into Edo, but that may end up being entirely my own view.

This set has little silver beads imbedded in all the flowers, though hard to see unless you expand my so-so photo. We can't all be at RKG's level.

Ko Mino fk 001.jpg

Hi Richard,

I think Adam said it best, an Autumnal association with flora and fauna. Here is a description found in the study of Akasaka motifs"

"The motif of this tsuba is autumnal flora and crickets combining to represent the Musashino. The elements of the grass and cricket fuse into an abstracted depiction of a pleasant autumnal scene:" Maybe this helps. BTW here is the tsuba this is referring to

Best Regards,

Mark

Akasaka Bell Cricket (2).jpg

The themes suzumushi, akikusa, Musashino and nozarashi sometimes overlap in some instances. Anyway each theme has its own origin in Japanese literature.
According to "Tsuba - Kodōgu Gadai Jiten" (vol. 1, p. 278) the suzumushi-zu refers to "‎The Pillow Book" (Makura no Sōshi - 枕草子) by Sei Shōnagon, a collection of writings from Heian period.
Here below the relevant entry from "Tsuba - Kodōgu Gadai Jiten" :

Suzumushi.thumb.jpg.3b7b7960b269f230cd6554ab0f695453.jpg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..