Shin gunto 95 NCO type 5

Steiner68

It can be hard to determine.  I had 2 95s that were painted gold & black.  When I stripped them, the original paint was underneath the late-war one, but the early one had been totally stripped to the bare metal before repainting.  They had even painted the blade!

One way to check is to remove the scabbard throat.  There is a single screw, visible above, once removed, the throat piece come out.  It has a tab that often has the original paint.  If it's different, you have proof of re-paint.  If the same, then it could be original (or the guy that did the repaint went to that detail on the job).

95 repainted.png

image2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scabbard colours come in many shades, the standard is the OD, but there are Dk and Lt Browns, jungle greens which are darker than the OD, winter camo in a white which is usually found as an off white/cream after 70 yrs and of course the controversial black amongst a few others such as almost a Salmon red/brown.

Some are period paint overs, others appear to be arsenal done, however, i don't think every colour was sprayed on from what i've seen.

The trend seems to be that Tokyo 1st favoured a semi-matt in the black, while nearly all gloss blacks have been from Nagoya.

I looked deeper in paintshop into the coloring pictures and think it is original paint. It is rough paint yes, but you find so many colors of this sword from white, brown, red, greenish, black. Ony the blade is out of polish. But overall a nice one. As you now, i like the style of the late stage type95 very much.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..