Interesting mounts on ebay sword

Surfson

This sword just ended on ebay and unfortunately I didn't get it.  I am hoping that a NMB member did.  I'm putting it under tosogu since the mounts are in the style of Goto, with a signature that looks to me like Mototsugu.  I would love to hear more about this maker and am including photos from the listing.  The blade only had part of a date - looks like Eisho 2 to me, which would be 1506, I guess.   Note that the listers knew nothing about swords and put the fuchi on the wrong side of the tsuba.  All in all, it looks like it will be very nice if restored with a new pair of menuki and a handle wrap.  

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 1.10.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 1.10.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 1.10.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 1.10.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 1.09.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 1.09.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 1.07.37 PM.png

Hi Robert,

Not I, but a nice pick-up in my opinion.. Not sure why the Fuchi is on the wrong side of the Tsuba, but hey.. Thats what we are here for - to put these things right. Certainly a nice project to complete.. Finding the right Menuki will be the trick. Should be (two) mons for the Wakizashi, but probably any Shakudo/ Gold Menuki would be okay under the ito, or even plain Shakudo to be more subtle. I wonder if it was part of a Banzashi Daisho at one time..? I don't think I I have seen that 'moon' Mon previously either - if it is a moon..?

Congrats to whoever won it,

Barrie.

Hi Barrie.  It looks like a moon with clouds in front of it blocking parts of it, but I really don't know.  I suspect that the kashira is not en suite with the rest, which would be a shame.  I presume that whoever signed the fuchi made the whole set, but that is not a certainty.  Sadly, I was the underbidder, but I agree that it is an excellent pickup and congratulations to the new owner.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..