NCO Sword

Boongie

Hello:

I am enjoying this forum and am very pleased to have found it. Thought I would post some pictures of the NCO sword that I picked up earlier this year. The serial numbers on the blade and scabbard match. Appears to have been well carried. Now I just need a correct sword knot for it.

Steve

2263_1.jpg

2263_2.jpg

2263_3.jpg

2263_4.jpg

2263_12.jpg

2263_13.jpg

2263_10.jpg

2263_9.jpg

2263_7.jpg

2263_22.jpg

2263_17.jpg

2263_18.jpg

2263_20.jpg

2263_23.jpg

2263_24.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

That's a real beauty, Steve!  I assume you know the meaning of all the stamps, and the style tassel you'll want on it, right?

Hi Bruce: Based on my limited knowledge, I believe that my NCO sword is a "third type" Tokyo 1st arsenal with the thinner brass tsuba. With the blade tip down, the markings are, from left to right: Suya company, Tokyo arsenal inspection mark, Kokura arsenal.

I have attached a better picture of the fuchi of my sword.

As to the sword knot, I have seen plenty reproductions for sale on ebay. I've attached a picture of what I believe is the correct vintage one that would be the one to find.

Thanks,

Steve

Fuchi Markings.jpg

Type 95 NCO Sword Knot.jpg

• Like 2

That's right Steve!  Dating NCO's is an imprecise art, and guys like Stegel and Shamsy could nail it down better, but the Kokura stamp means the gunto was made no later than 1940 (could be 1942, my memory is fading on that) and the serial number should put it in the in about the 2nd or 3rd year of manufacture of the aluminum hands The coppers were made '37-38, so 1940-1 would be my guess. I could be off a couple years on that, but it's ball-park.

30 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

That's right Steve!  Dating NCO's is an imprecise art, and guys like Stegel and Shamsy could nail it down better, but the Kokura stamp means the gunto was made no later than 1940 (could be 1942, my memory is fading on that) and the serial number should put it in the in about the 2nd or 3rd year of manufacture of the aluminum hands The coppers were made '37-38, so 1940-1 would be my guess. I could be off a couple years on that, but it's ball-park.

Now an original sword knot would be nice to add! As it seems that some people are selling reproduction NCO swords as original, and with as many reproduction sword knots that I see for sale on ebay, I presume that someone has tried to pass these repro sword knots off as original. I suppose that there is a way to "age" new leather.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Steve, 

Nice example.

In regard to the leather NCO sword knot,  to the best of my knowledge (and I am newish) the sword knot you included is meant for the later iron tsuba sword as per your picture.  I believe the knot to match your brass tsuba is the earlier NCO knot that includes a small brass buckle and actually threads through the tsuba. Pic attached. From my experience they are harder to find and more 'expensive' than the later version you have shown.

If I'm wrong, ( but I really dont think so) I am sure we will both read about it very soon.

Regards

Rob

Screenshot_2020-10-09-20-49-56.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robinalexander said:

includes a small brass buckle

Rob,

You are right about the buckled version for his tsuba.  The iron tsuba has no holes for the tassel, so they simply looped the no-buckle version starting at the sarute.

I should point out, though, the example you posted is a reproduction.  Here is how they really looked:

IMG_0309.JPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..