Alex A

Edo Osaka katana with very good old koshirae

A good signed Edo Katana with old antique mounts, previously owned by a Japanese collector living in the US. Antique mounts are in great condition, and also a good fit, unlike a lot that you see that are often cobbled together with ill fitting odds and ends. The only change since i bought it is the addition of a kogai, plain and simple, a perfect fit and looks nice with the copper tsuba. The tsukamaki is in perfect condition and the green always looks nice with a black saya. The copper seppa are a perfect fit, ignore some of my images as ive just realised ive put them back on assways, nice patina.

The blade is signed with similar wording to a smith that worked around 1740, he signed Awataguchi Settsu no Kami Minamoto Tadayuki. The mei on this blade has additional kanji which relate to "final/end" and "grandchild/descendant (see translation below). Ive briefly looked into this and there really is not much to go on, sometimes thats just how it is, as you know. So possibly that smith as he was the last or maybe another thats not documented.

For me personally, ive never had intentions of shipping this off to the NBTHK for shinsa, sometimes just not worth it. The smith is not known well and doubt would be a target for gimei. It might be gimei and it might not be but on a sword of this value i dont care. I bought the sword because it was a nice package and didnt bust the bank. Would be up to any new owner to go further with it.

The work appears Osaka, a tight ko-itame with dense Ji-nie, the hamon Suguha with bright habuchi in ko-nie. The blade is in polish and made well without forging flaws, there are some stains to the mune and a few scratches  and marks here and there.

A slender blade, reminds me of an old tachi, in the koshirae it all appears quite long.

Nagasa 69cm

Moto-haba 30mm

Kasane just short of 6mm. 

ive uploaded enough here, if anyone wants more i can send as many as you want until your hearts content!, best by watsapp

Big thanks to the seller as ive used some of his images!

Difficult to price, but looking at main dealer pricing in the UK i will ask £3000

28890C91-AE45-4487-ACE0-DAF8745CB7FD.jpeg

D1E880B1-7EC0-4B3B-A7A6-43ED8BB8C090.jpeg

IMG_20181022_212001_682.jpg

E79CB657-D363-4896-A9F5-C0DC12D09F69.jpeg

DA25738C-8D32-42C2-A735-BB45D959A7E9.jpeg

B8185D09-27D5-4511-BAC0-87CBE2154E4B.jpeg

B85A4E03-7D25-41AD-A0D7-082D2E0504A7.jpeg

0C7C7497-D263-4DB5-AAC6-D1C7116341BA.png

8B38DEE8-8BDB-4393-B554-1345CD07C7C3.jpeg

D3154ABE-D3BE-4E15-99C0-CFD7C3842185.jpeg

• Like 2

Fittings and of course the blade looks lovely. 👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks Chris,

I did intend to have shirasaya made but never got around to it, but thats how the hobby goes.

Loving it Alex! 

• Thanks 1

Hi Jason, i dont know much about it.

It is very nice, heavy, nice patina and workmanship, nice fit.

Guessing late Edo, reminds me of an old tachi tsuba.

Maybe one of the tsuba guys could throw some light on it.

Cheers

One tiny but interesting little feature of the koshirae.  Wear on the Kashira, only noticed this whilst looking at mega over sized images. Wear on one corner from handling where a samurai would have his thumb. Just like holster wear, i suppose, that you see on old guns. Subtle features that show they were used and not just kept in a drawer or whatever.

wear kashira.jpeg

• Like 3

Are you talking about the flat rub just above the hat right on the edge?

1611713107_wearkashira.jpeg.dfda5ac4512c93045bb0feef923ed2d3~2.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Alex A said:

Hello Adam, yes

Ah OK well that is not the signs of years of use by a samurai thumb which would have no flat edges and would be totally smooth and rounded. As you can see from the striated lines it's an abrasion done long ago maybe as patination has built up but more as if dragged against stone or similar. 

I would suggest this a more likely scenario. 

Regards Adam 

• Like 1