How do you showcase your nihonto?

Oshy

A great question an an issue I certainly considered. Because the space is below ground and surrounded by concrete and steel (even overhead) the area maintains a temperature of about 63 degrees F / 17 degrees C. I only heat it occasionally when I have guests who might be uncomfortable. While it might not be visible in the photo, there is a humidistat on the wall. The humidity stays in the range of 48 percent. My thoughts were that minimizing variations in temperature and humidity would lessen expansion and contraction of the saya as and lacquer work. The area gets no sunlight and is in darkness most of the time lessening the possibility of damage from UV light. I have noted that newer shira  saya’ s continue to contract as they loose additional moisture.  As for the blades, I’ve had no issues of rust developing but am a devoted user of oil. I purchased several boxes of micro fiber cloths and clean every blade before returning it to its designated place. 

If you have any suggestions for improvements I would appreciate any thoughts you might have. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..