How do you showcase your nihonto?

Oshy

This past month and a half has been hectic to say the least for my family as we found our dream home, sold our old place, worked through some renovations/upgrades and a lot of refurnishing all while work remained busy and daycare remained closed! We are not quite settled completely but getting close currently working on getting everything hung. Today im working on the office, see preliminary pictures below. Parts of the collection are out for work or stuck in transit, while others are hung else ware in the house, but I would love to see how everyone else displays their collections to get some ideas. Thanks!

IMG_20200907_132019.jpg

IMG_20200907_132043.jpg

• Like 6

I don't have a good way to display anything yet, but I intend to make a wall-mounted rack like yours Mike.  I love the torii on top, beautiful!  What kind of wood is it made of?  I love the idea of framed pictures of the naked blades.  I am curious if there's a name for that style of photography, I see it on all the vendor sites and here of course.  

Its a soft wood, not sure what it is but nothing special.

Allan Lee McKelvy is the artist and they are prints of his hand painted oshigata. I buy directly from him on FB but you can also purchase at Fine art America below. I custom order my frames from Art to Frames too.

https://fineartamerica.com/shop/metal+prints/allan+lee

https://www.arttoframe.com/?rmsrc=1&channel=google&effort=Brand&rmatt=tsid:1049903|cid:257969082|agid:19246359642|tid:aud-347227194905:kwd-12229092428|crid:288064910786|nw:g|rnd:3444125072397866871|dvc:c|adp:|mt:e|loc:9019609&gclid=CjwKCAjw19z6BRAYEiwAmo64LYlS5lBkjYoRivXW79LJJWamPXqX0ZVW8YYSrgIukW8GiAfQpZ7GexoCDIgQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have ambitions of display but currently they rest in sword bags next to my closet and laundry hamper.  I really need an office room as our extra room currently has become my fiancee's walk in closet.  Cant display them in the rest of the house as my pets would probably get to them.  I bought an old collapsible stand for the day when I can but sadly (or happily) ive gotten too many swords that I need to buy a second one.  Also have an armor display but I can't put that up either as it would dominate the living room or rec room and that same pet issue.  Going to be buying a larger house in the next year or so and my eye will be on the room to finally give it all a home.   I set it up like this though when I take them out to clean.  Best I can do.

SmartSelect_20200920-190754_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20200920-190743_Gallery.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Stephen, nothing like a VHS fire to relax after a long day.  Also your tsuba display set up is pure class.  I like that your display looks artistic and almost blend in to the surroundings.   When I do set things up people will have to do a double take to fully notice its there.  The armor set up might be a bit harder to do that with.  Will also have this nearby.  The paintings not for everybody but I like it.

IMG_20200430_211009_849.jpg

My collection is a result of search and discovery so I really enjoy "finding" my swords when I get them out. As I result I keep very little of my Japanese stuff out and visible. I remember with pride when I visitor to our home, after looking around said, "I thought you collected Japanese swords." Now if I could only figure out how to store rapiers!

Peter

rapiers.jpg

• Like 8

On 9/20/2020 at 2:54 PM, Peter Bleed said:

Now if I could only figure out how to store rapiers!

I'll second that, Peter! My fencing blades have been a topic of pointed conversation for quite a few years. My wife trains with me in all the other weapons arts, so she doesn't complain about Japanese blades, but I can't say the same about the many foils, sabers, epees, & rapiers I've accumulated over 69 years of fencing! Nice rapier collection, by the way.

And that's a very-nice tansu setup, Chris!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 9/7/2020 at 2:38 PM, Oshy said:

This past month and a half has been hectic to say the least for my family as we found our dream home, sold our old place, worked through some renovations/upgrades and a lot of refurnishing all while work remained busy and daycare remained closed! We are not quite settled completely but getting close currently working on getting everything hung. Today im working on the office, see preliminary pictures below. Parts of the collection are out for work or stuck in transit, while others are hung else ware in the house, but I would love to see how everyone else displays their collections to get some ideas. Thanks!

Mike, can I ask what size those prints are? I keep hovering my finger over the purchase button at Fine Art America, but then I get lost in the sizes, lol. 

On 9/23/2020 at 9:28 PM, vajo said:

The little Tansu in my study room.

tansu.thumb.jpg.7d7e545ba4068ec143665b9b81f55420.jpg

this I like currently have a display case but its full of other military items I have at the moment occupied a shelf but it is not ideal looking to find something else did you make this.

Mark

• Like 2

9 hours ago, vajo said:

Not by myself Mark

I'm not a craftsman. I made  the sketch and helped the craftsman with some easy works to reduce building time and after finishing the project i pay it. :lipssealed:

Building A Swordroom - General Nihonto Related Discussion - Nihonto Message Board (militaria.co.za)

Hi,

thanks for the link how do you control humidity and dust etc I had a cabinet built for my other military collectables ,sealing the cabinet unfortunately does not work for some strange reason it still gets dusty and mildew tends to form,I solved it by pumping filterd dehumidified air from the room that in was in ,into the cabinet ie positive air pressure stops dust coming back into the cabinet as long as I change the filter paper[I use cooker hood filter paper] it minimise's the dust problem and no mildew or rust ,only problem it wasn't made for swords and they are rather difficult to get out and non of the glass is wide enough to see them think it's time to build another.

Mark

DSC06398_edited-2 (768x1024).jpg

• Like 2

I built a fire proof lined vault in the man cave and lined it with slat board. Then we got to work in the shop and made wooden, stepped brackets which allow a blade in shira saya to be displayed adjacent to the koshirae. Blades having just shirasaya simply rest on slatboard hooks.  I’m now gradually repositioning blades and grouping them by eras, and schools which is useful for study purposes . 
jim

AFDE7BA1-8C89-442A-A8FC-96151002FEDC.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Wow 8

• 2 weeks later...

I started collecting in the late 80’s . We have a good group in St. Louis and we get together, show off and compare swords as often as possible. I’ve been most fortunate in that I’ve never had to sell anything. The COVID lock down provided an opportunity to catalog and organize the lot. I’m hoping some or all of the grandsons will show an enthusiasm so we can share them.  
jim

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..