Ron Bonanno - friend and sword enthusiast R.I.P.

Dear all,

This weekend I learned of the passing of Ron Bonanno of Long Island, NY truly a good friend and  master Japanese Sword Collector.

I met Ron 32 years ago at, of all places, a gun show in New York. Through his knowledge and encouragement he became an early mentor to me and  opened up new paths to my learning. Through his invitation I began monthly trips to the city to attend the then New York Japanese Sword Club meetings (now NY Token Kai).

I was speaking to another sword friend about how Ronny stood up as a shining example of our community  - generous with his knowledge, always helpful and, above all, a gentleman. I have known few others who have been so enriched by and successful in the "art of the chase." His finds from the "woodwork" have been really mind boggling. 

I will miss Ron for all of our entangled years, and will remember the last time I had seen him - in Atlanta at the Southeast Japanese Sword Show handling swords and smiling among family and friends. For those who knew Ron please take some time to remember him.

Kind Regards,

Mark    

• Like 1

A kind and generous man, had myself and my girlfriend over to his house.

He did oshigata for future series of books I've had on hold a while.

A gentleman all the way and loved swords enthusiastically. A huge loss. I had been meaning to call him for a while and it's a lesson to not let some things slip.

• Like 1

The love of Ron’s life was always his wife and family.  And following that, his love, respect and deep admiration for the field of Japanese swords.  We met in 1988 and remained close friends ever since.  Ron was a kind and soft-spoken gentlemen from the old school.  His study began with Bumpei Usui back in the 1960s but his first sword was carried back to his parent’s home balanced on the handlebars of his bicycle.  Ron was one of the presidents of the New York Token Kai and contributed to the knowledge base of the greater nihonto community.  His friendship is irreplaceable.  Rest in Peace.

• Like 1

We are so sad to hear that Ron has made his transition! Had seen him at every sword show that we went. He was always pleasant, kind and supportive. He will be missed very much and remembered in our heart. 

With Love and condolences to his family. 

James Kan

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..