Help with WW11 Katana. Papua and taken to Australia!

bunyips

Hello,

First post. Great site!! A friend found out that I practice Iaido and asked if I would look at a sword that his Grandfather brought back from the war in the Pacific. The Mekugi was rotten and the handle required quite a bit of force to get off. I cleaned the blade with oil and a rag and Isopropyl alcohol. It looked like axle grease had been applied a long time ago. A lot of scratching on the blade but very little rust. The tsuba is currently stuck on there as I cannot get the fuchi off the tang. I will probably just cut it off. Difficult to see in the photos but there is file marks on the tang although I cannot see any Kanji on there. It also looks like the weapon has been shortened at some point in its life. Nagasa is 67 cm and the Nakago is 21 cm. The tsuba has not been cleaned yet and I have just used light 3 in 1 for the moment over the blade. Looks like a shoelace was used on the Tsuka with badly tanned ray skin. But this has not been changed since it was acquired  Took as much of the red rust of the tang with cloth and oil. Look forward to hearing peoples opinion on this blade as It looks quite unusual. Thin straight Hamon up the entire blade. The Kisaki looks very well worn! 

Thanks in Advance,

Todd

IMG20200905193253.jpeg

IMG20200907093723.jpeg

IMG20200907093736.jpeg

IMG20200907101020.jpeg

IMG20200907101054.jpeg

IMG20200907101217.jpeg

IMG20200907101240.jpeg

IMG20200907101308.jpeg

IMG20200907103917.jpeg

IMG20200907104003.jpeg

IMG20200907104554.jpeg

Todd, it may also be an older sword (the tang, though quite crude, appears to have more age than one would expect for a WWII era sword).  It has been worked over with an abrasive that has obliterated any ability to view the hamon or the hada, and probably smoothed out the yokote.  While the island sword idea is a good one, I would think it's too early to assume that it is junk and you might want to get it into the hands of a collector in your region.  We have several NMB members from OZ, so maybe one is near you.

Hello... Appreciate all the replies!! I have a feeling that this sword is an older weapon that has been modified in the field. I am happy just to have had a look at it and try to work out its story. It actually has a really nice balance although it is a bit short for my practice. The Hamon still along the entire blade and when we got the handle off and cleaned up the red rust I thought that it looked like older corrosion than just sitting in a cupboard for 75 years. All in all it is a cool piece and will be returned to its Australian owner a little cleaner with a good story... Since visiting this site (wish I had found it earlier) I am now on the hunt for a Nihonto to replace my replica to train with. My Iaido teacher has sent photos to a friend of his who knows much more than I do :) 

• Like 1

Todd, welcome to the NMB!

It looks like you were able to get the tsuba/seppa/habaki combo to move somewhat, it's not in its traditional place by the machi.  I'd suggest to keep going at the red rust with the minimum force/abrasion.  Then give it a whack with a rubber mallet and it might come loose.  Best practice here is to use a block of wood between mallet and whatever needs moving, just in case.  Curious if there are any markings on the fittings, but I'd be surprised.  Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..