Tanto by Enomoto Sadayoshi

Alex A

Hoping to sell this one with a gentleman's agreement in that if it sells then the buyer offer me the first chance to buy it back, should they ever sell.

Tanto by Mukansa smith Enomoto Sadayoshi, dated Heisei 7th, 1995. He won many NBTHK competitions and since 1981 was highly regarded and treated as such. He was awarded top level title of Mukansa in 8th year of Heisei 1996 . To attain Mukansa one would have to win many competitions over many years.

He was known for making swords well into old age and sadly died in 2001 at the age of 91.

The blade is in Soshu tradition with Mitsu-mune and a hamon with beautiful Nie which he was known for.

The blade is in shirasaya and there is sayagaki by Sadahito Sadayoshi, his son. Sentimental to me, and also for me, far better than any shinsa papers. 

Gold foil Habaki.

Thanks to Chris Bowen for his assistance.

I wont go on, loads on the internet and dont want to get accused of exaggerating sales.

Not one i ever intended to sell and will be sad to see it go, should it sell.

If anyone wants more pics or info, pm me.

£3500.thumbnail5.thumb.jpg.87dc6df7e7527b613d9bca7a50067bb6.jpg 

thumbnail3.jpg

thumbnail6.jpg

thumbnail7.jpg

thumbnail8.jpg

thumbnail9.jpg

thumbnail10.jpg

thumbnail11.jpg

P1060056.JPG

P1060057.JPG

Enomto Sadayoshi 1970,s.jpg

• Like 3

I know we’re not supposed to comment on items for sale any more, but I’m so sorry that you have to sell all those marvels Alex. It must feel terrible and I wanted to say that I sympathize with your situation. If I had money, I would buy it just to sell it back to you later when things get better. I hope they do soon. Hang in there buddy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jp, appreciated, very much

Just had an unbelievably kind offer from a gentleman offering just that, without conditions.

I gratefully declined as it is not his field of collecting, but shows what wonderful people are out there in this niche community.

Im sure it will sell eventually, thanks for the kind words.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Alex A said:

Hi Jp,

been hit hard by this covid and as a 48 year old one trick pony I don't know whether il be able to afford it.

Same age and same boat as you for now.

This is one of a few 20th century smiths I'd wanted to pick up an example. I picked up a Shigemasa before Covid put 2 in the chest. Now sidelined for a while.

• Thanks 1

Strange times Curran. 

Shigemasa, drooled over many on here, think they belonged to Joe, would be good to own one.

Whilst im here, the dimensions.

Blade length 25cm

Total length 34cm

Moto-habe 2.8cm, then gently narrows towards the point

Just realised ive forgot kasane. I can get that for anyone interested, its typical thickness.

Enomoto was surely one of the most talented and prevalent smiths of the century, made some exquisite soshu examples of which I recently picked up a katana by him. Would love to add this as well but finances will not allow at this time. Best of luck Alex.

• Thanks 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..