Did anybody buy anything from this auction?

My friend told me about this the night before it happened.  Did anybody buy anything at this auction?  They had some decent pieces.  My take is that the collector focused mostly on fittings.  There was a set of three unrelated kozuka that went for $14,000.

https://www.cowanauctions.com/auction/922020-arms-armor-12665/lots

3 hours ago, Surfson said:

My friend told me about this the night before it happened.  Did anybody buy anything at this auction?  They had some decent pieces.  My take is that the collector focused mostly on fittings.  There was a set of three unrelated kozuka that went for $14,000.

https://www.cowanauctions.com/auction/922020-arms-armor-12665/lots

Well, clearly the kozuka bidder thought he was buying a genuine Natsuo, but the mei does not seem genuine to me. 

The collector passed away in 2012. I think the swords were not properly taken care of since then as they had all developed rust. 

2 hours ago, Gakusee said:

Well, clearly the kozuka bidder thought he was buying a genuine Natsuo, but the mei does not seem genuine to me. 

The collector passed away in 2012. I think the swords were not properly taken care of since then as they had all developed rust. 

At least they were 2 auctioneers to think the mei was right ....🤣

I can see why some members kept quiet about this one :shame:

Some really good speculative lots there and lots of good prices. I took some time now to go through the whole auction, and was drooling at a lot of the items, not just Japanese ones. Not the top level of collecting...but lovely decent honest and affordable items.
I'm glad I missed it..would have been tempted to spend money I don't have.

4 hours ago, Gakusee said:

Regarding the lot 74, there not only Natsuo. Look at the one on the left, it is signed Goto Ichijo. I don't know if mei is good, but it don't seems odd to me and I know ichijo did some kozuka with this kind of patern.

38 minutes ago, Surfson said:

I admit to buying this one:

https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/silver-mounted-aikuchi-tanto-by-masataka-4038308

Seemed like a solid blade with solid mounts.  Probably made in the early 1800s, and highly unlikely to be Meiji era mounts in my view.  

One of the good choices, Bob. There were a few good blade and koshirae packages and yours was one of them. Congrats. 

33 minutes ago, Gakusee said:

One of the good choices, Bob. There were a few good blade and koshirae packages and yours was one of them. Congrats. 

+1 The baleen is in pretty good condition too.  As that is fairly rare these days, you should do what you can to preserve it.  The few loose strands can be secured with clear lacquer (or clear nail polish).

Thanks Michael, which other ones did you like?   I bid on some others but some went for too much.  

Good idea George.   I have a hirazukuri wakizashi with baleen wrap that Brian T restored.  They are very rare in part since they fall apart easily.  

What was the lot number of that tanto Michael?  I liked the Shigehisa too.  Nice mounts it had with one missing part on the kashira.  Early muromachi blade and as I recall it was Bungo school.  The nakago was one of  my favorite parts of it.  

1 hour ago, Surfson said:

What was the lot number of that tanto Michael?  I liked the Shigehisa too.  Nice mounts it had with one missing part on the kashira.  Early muromachi blade and as I recall it was Bungo school.  The nakago was one of  my favorite parts of it.  

Tanto lot 6. Went up a bit pricey....

i had looked at all the items in advance.  I liked #56 and was under bidder. A few others were interesting but a LOT of swords were in bad shape and had problems. I planned to bid on a lot of items but the prices were ridiculous (in my opinion), some 4x and more to what you would see the same item at a big sword show. I thought the bidding was strange. A few items were special and did well but the majority was WAY over valued. I feel bad for some buyers as ( if they didn't see the item in hand) when they get the item they will be very disappointed.

Yes Michael, tanto 6 had very nice mounts.  But according to the upside down papers, it was Meiji.  I liked 56 too Mark, and was probably just under your bid.  Had I known about the auction in advance, I would have driven out to look at all of them in hand.  I really liked the mounts on #15, and suspected that the blade might be really nice too.  It went for $3K and I think I was the underbidder or close to it.  

#15 was decent. i planned on bidding, not sure when i dropped out but it went for more than i wanted to have in it. May have been old naginata-naoshi but the papers didn't help and there was a good size chip along the ha by the tip. and also it was only maybe 17" or so so i thought that a limiting factor

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..