What do I need to state in documents to Japan

Babu

Hello.

I'm sending my swords to Paul Martin to send to shinsa and once we have a result we will decide on submitting to further shinsa levels or perhaps if it goes Pink have the mei removed and resubmit.

Can anyone help advise what I need to put on the export import documentation to ensure I don't hit problems?

Paul has said value Inc postage below 1800 Yen.

What else??

Thank you Adam

You need to specify a sword (tachi or katana)  older than 150 years (as your Munemitsu is probably 450 years old), if you have old paperwork - enclose it. Mention Muromachi period. 

include a letter or 1-pager stating to whom it goes (who will handle the torokusho) and enclose a reference to his website or books. 

Anecdotally, once I was bringing one of my swords to Japan in person. At the customs, as always happens, when they called and brought the local police inspector to issue a temporary torokusho, I was lucky he was an old guy who enjoyed swords too. The sword was an Yoshioka Ichimonji wakizashi and he marvelled at it. 

I showed him my Facts and Fundamentals and as Paul translated it and his photo is inside I think, I told the guy that this is the guy to whom I am bringing the sword and he would help me with the logistics. That completely sealed the deal. 

So, the more the better in terms of transparency. 

One will be muromachi or earlier the other Kamakura. 

Should I pack separately or together? 

Should I put them in the koshirae or loose blades but well wrapped? 

Is there a Japanese document or will my UK declaration with harmonised codes be acceptable? 

Thank you Adam 

Look up the international harmonised tariff code for Japan - I think it is the same or similar. 

Blades to be wrapped in shrink wrap (1 layer) so that they can still go in the shirasaya. Shrink wrap / Satan wrap prevents fingerprints on blades when they do the magnet test (they always run a magnet to ensure the blade is steel and not imitation). 

Blades in shirasaya and koshirae separate in the same parcel. No problem for multiple blades in same parcel but I think up to 3 in one shipment. If blades only housed in their koshirae, then shrink wrap and in koshirae. Not bare blades in parcel under any circumstances, even if very well wrapped. 

Not sure which courier you are using? In the past it used to be EMS but Paul will be best to advise you now. 

He has not suggested collection Grev. 

Michael S.

They have no Shirasaya yet that's part of the job so it will have to be koshirae which is all very expensive top end. 

Plan is Shirasaya, shinsa, if required mukansa polish shinsa again then sayagaki hopefully by Tanobe Sensei. 

So everything needs to be shrink wrapped and put in their bags. 

Paul is not coming to the UK probably not even in 2021, for now. That is what he mentioned to me a few weeks ago. Of course, if a vaccine is discovered and deployed in the next 12 months (unlikely so quickly to reach mass deployment) this could change. 

What he did say was to make sure it was no too over wrapped so easy to open for inspection by officials as he would likely be in a queue and not want to hold people up.

I'd better check first before I pack. It won't be until Monday now it's the weekend in Japan.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..