Motiv on Tsuba: can anybody help?

HAP

Hi, recently I acquired a Tsuba with a somewhat unusual motiv, a giant snake and what seems to be a worshipper(?). I have no clue for the interpretation: the Internet and "Legend in Japanese Art", by Henri Joly is of no help (at least for me). Elements in the Tsuba are very similar to Soten, but the snake is foreign, so it seems. Usually snakes are hostile in Japanese legends, but this one seems almost friendly?

Can anyone help?

Sincerely

Hans

snake-person.jpg

From KOJI-HOTEN of V.F. Weber (Volume II - page 274) it is mentioned (my own translation from french to english): In Japanese books it is mentioned that  a huge snake of more than 240 meters swallowed elephants. Such a monster  named "Tani"  in the book "Hô-un-chô nen-daï- ki" attacked warriors and was able to swallow them with their horses. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..