Munemitsu wakizashi

Apercus

I added a photo of a Munemitsu wakizashi to one of Adam's inquires on his Munemitsu and ended up misdirecting his inquiry.  My apologies to Adam.  I'll try to be more careful.  I wasn't really looking for information on my wakizashi but since receiving a few questions to see more photos I though I would start a new topic and send more information.  I have just about come to the conclusion that I won't be able to find enough signature examples and blade photos for the different Munemitsu smiths to make an educated guess about which one made this blade.  I think I will have to wait on shinsa and I think it would have to be in polish for any real conclusions to be made.  If I was an expert, which I am far from, I would not want to draw conclusions on a blade that was not in a good enough state of polish to see the details that lead to solid conclusions.  I've always thought it mostly a waste of effort to try to get accurate papers before that.  

I haven't decided whether I will be able to get this one polished, but if so it won't be soon.  I have one in Japan now and another in line before this one.  I don't accumulate extra cash that quickly anymore.  I'm lucky to still be working at my age and with my injuries.  I might have to leave this one for one of my kids that are into Japanese swords to explore.  Anyway, here are the photos I said I would send.  I bought a new digital camera but I'm still trying to figure it out.  These are from my phone and I'll have to send them in batches because I haven't figured out how to reduce the file size yet. 

IMG-0010.jpg

IMG-0024.JPG

IMG-0021 copy.jpg

IMG-0016 copy.jpg

• Like 1

Without comparing the mei, it looks like something from Tensho, probably no later than Keicho period. Even if the mei is not exact to the books I personally would feel a strong possibility of it being real. The signature matches the work, the period.

Kirill R.

• Like 1

I agree with Jacques that no Munemitsu was working in the shinto period or after in the Bizen tradition,his references to this on my thread made me look again. 

I also note that the mune character on my sword has an atari going the wrong way for extant examples of mei as he pointed out. 

There was a Bizen munemitsu in 1233 no records of his mei exist. 

Only the recognised 1st gen 1312-24 signed Bizen.

2nd 1364 signed Bishu

3rd 1394 signed Bishu

4th Bishu

5th Bishu

1487 Bizen kuni Osafune munemitsu Heianjo Saku Kore. 

1541 Bizen kuni ju osafune munemitsu Tsukuru

1532 Bizen kuni ju osafune sakyoshin munemitsu tsukuru 

1540-58 Bishu again. 

1573 Bishu

There are others but not in Bizen school. 

There is NTHK NPO next Sunday (Sept. 13th) in Tokyo, which is a one day affair, compared to multi-month NBTHK process. They will also put the sword's period on the paper. 

My take - the blade shows rough large feature hada, which is consistent with late Muromachi. Hamon has crab claw-like "choji", which is also more of a Muromachi feature. The shape can't be close to Kambun, likely Tembun to Keicho, and more likely later than early within this range. Stoud blade with uniform curvature and almost uniform width. The nakago finish is more along the lines of the early shinto. 

Tensho to Keicho is the best fit. 

This being said, I don't really deal with signatures so it might not fly. However, multi-generational ones from the period are typically given significant allowance for variations if they match the period. 

Kirill R.

• Like 1

Krill,

Your analysis and suggestions are very sound and reasonable. I’m not in any hurry and I’ve been known to think about something for years before deciding on action. I would like to try NTHK-NPO shinsa sometime but I’m not sure this one is in good enough polish. I doubt the blade would be worth more after polish than the polish would cost but I’m not basing a decision on economics. I’m not a dealer in swords. I study Japanese swords and collect a few. I will try to preserve the ones I can afford for the next generations and just enjoy the ones that pass my way while I’m here. 
I still need to find a way to get my Ichimonji tachi to you for photographs. I will eventually work that out. I need to visit my daughter in Oakland.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 5:47 AM, Apercus said:

Krill,

Your analysis and suggestions are very sound and reasonable. I’m not in any hurry and I’ve been known to think about something for years before deciding on action. I would like to try NTHK-NPO shinsa sometime but I’m not sure this one is in good enough polish. I doubt the blade would be worth more after polish than the polish would cost but I’m not basing a decision on economics. I’m not a dealer in swords. I study Japanese swords and collect a few. I will try to preserve the ones I can afford for the next generations and just enjoy the ones that pass my way while I’m here. 
I still need to find a way to get my Ichimonji tachi to you for photographs. I will eventually work that out. I need to visit my daughter in Oakland.

Thank you! Always love to photograph good pieces, and Ichimonji are the most difficult ones to work with. My photoalbum is pushed back couple of years I am afraid, but my photography technique improves in the meantime.

Maybe not my place since its not my money, but I think the condition will not terribly affect the papering chance of the blade. The work is visible, shape is distinctive, if they accept the signature that's it.

Kirill R.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..