The Japan news ticker

Should the news ticker featuring current events in Japan stay?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Should the news ticker featuring current events in Japan stay?

• Yes, occasionally interesting news appears that I may want to click and read about
    • No, it is distracting to me and I have no interest.

I have had one or 2 people tell me that they find the scrolling Japan News ticker distracting and for some reason bothers them.
Personally, I wanted something like this and I enjoy it. We get the latest news out of Japan every 20 minutes and sometimes important or interesting things appear. It wasn't too expensive a plug-in, but since this is your forum...I wanted to give you guys the option of deciding if it should stay or go.
I have already set it to only appear on the desktop themes, so those on cellphone or tablet won't see it. But there is no option for people to remove it just for themselves.

Soooooo......here's your chance to make a difference. Decide if it should stay or go. I'd need a 2/3 majority to do either. The catch is you need to stand up for your choices. In other words, your vote isn't private.
But I don't mind if you don't like it. No negative feelings. So feel free to choose what you want.
Please vote guys. These polls only work if we get participation.

Finance has nothing to do with it. It was a once off very small plugin purchase...inconsequential. And minimal data or any other effect.
I normally never follow Japan news, and yet this has had me click multiple links for the first time...so it is working for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

As mentioned, that must be from the Japan Times. It's obviously keeping track of how much you use it. Check your cookies and delete any to do with that newspaper and maybe it will reset the views.
I can easily change it to feed from a different source, but that one seems to be fairly good.

Have you tried Japan Today? I've never been asked for a subscription. You can post comments on articles there too, if you sign up. To tell the truth, when I agreed to the above feed here on NMB, I mistakenly thought it was Japan Today!

(The only major downside to Japan Today is their moderators who seem to work under the weirdest, narrowest rules you could imagine. Oh, and their swearword filter which is on a hair trigger, leaving you to scratch you head trying to work out which innocent word might have set it off. )

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..