An Edo Suji Kabuto and menpo? What did I buy?

waljamada

Greetings, I put in a low offer on a Suji Kabuto and Menpo advertised as late Edo period.  It got accepted and that kind of scares me a little bit.  Seems too good a buy to me.  I offered a low price because it seems authentic to my eye, but I wasn't 100% confident, and I like it's look/features and I even like the shape of the simple menpo.   I'm hoping for some help to confirm what it is I have an accepted offer on.  Comes with the maedate etc..as well.

SmartSelect_20200901-011234_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200901-011240_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200901-011253_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200901-011259_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200901-011317_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200901-011310_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200901-093240_eBay.jpg

I had asked the seller some questions beforehand and he guessed the menpo was also late edo and mentioned the early Ansei period as a guess.  The menpo doesn't have any lacquer on it which seems alarming to me but it does have the holes for the neck guard which is good.  No lacquer inside makes it seem not meant for use as I don't really see authentic examples with no lacquer on the inside at least.  He thought the kabuto might be a similar timeframe.  

I'm kinda edging towards it being early 1900s (but it could still be authentic, there just enough to give me some confidence in it). 

Heres another one I've found thats first half of 20th century.  Similar but different.  Either mines just one like that with some false aging or this more modern one is modeled from an older example if my original posted kabuto is authentic.

SmartSelect_20200901-095813_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200901-095707_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200901-100412_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200901-100500_eBay.jpg

Adam,

your reflections carrying most of the desired answer.....

So just two additional comments:

1. This helmet has nothing to do with an “akoda-nari” kabuto.
2. Ansei (1854-1859) is far too optimistic.

But at the end of the day, it depends of what you want to have....

I felt terrible asking but the seller agreed to cancel my order.  Had a good discussion on collections and armors with him.  Seems a real great guy who is upgrading his collection with a registered complete armor set from the Minamoto clan coming his way hence wanting to make some room 

I consider this a reinforced lesson of what I already knew.  Be patient, be wise and click with confidence only when the first two criteria have been duly met.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..