Old bronze mirror by Fujiwara Mitsunaga

Zarathustra

Hi,

I recently found this very beautiful Mirror with the name of the maker Fujiwara Mitsunaga 藤原光長 (not sure though as name-reading is still difficult, but jisho said so) on it.

The back is bronze, and as i cleaned it a little, i found the mirror itself to be silver, but i dont know how thick the silver layer is, or how the silver was applied to it. I'm eager to polish it a little, to see myself in it, but of course I dont want to damage it.IMG_20200831_093554.thumb.jpg.19962fd47f90c5f8aad708184daef3f0.jpg

IMG_20200831_093546.thumb.jpg.9ba381ff13cc5734120034d9cf859adb.jpg

Does anyone have some Ideas or Knowledge how to further bring this beautiful mirror back to life?

Also, i could find out that it was made in Edo-Jidai, but not exactly when. If anyone knows more, I'd be happy to know.

Thanks,

Florian

藤原光長 

Fujiwara Mitsunaga is a name handed down from master to student for several generations, and so it is almost like a brand name. This name was in use from 1709 to 1862 (according to the site below). The three-leaf hollyhock motif inside the border is a family crest, as you may already know. That's about all I know from a quick search on the internet.

https://www.morita-stone.co.jp/weblog/sp/2017/06/post_364.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..