Help with research on my sword.

Babu

3 hours ago, Apercus said:

I also have a blade signed Munemitsu but have decided I may never know which generation made the piece.  The closest I will probably get to that goal will have to involve shinsa.

Shannon H.

IMG-0009.jpg

Shannon your seems typical of the later Shinto generations.

Most of the early blades I've seen have a lighter carved mei in my experience. (Which may be different from others)

All tachi I've encountered were delicately carved. I'll bet a Google search would get you close.

Thanks for the input. This one is on the back burner for a while. I used up all of my polish & shinsa savings on a blade currently in Japan. I’m not sure I’ll submit it anytime soon or ever. I also have another blade in front of it waiting on me to build up savings. I can salvage a few blades in my lifetime but don’t have the income to do much more. My spare money is mostly spent on books in a lot of different fields

Shannon H.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Apercus said:

Thanks for the input. This one is on the back burner for a while. I used up all of my polish & shinsa savings on a blade currently in Japan. I’m not sure I’ll submit it anytime soon or ever. I also have another blade in front of it waiting on me to build up savings. I can salvage a few blades in my lifetime but don’t have the income to do much more. My spare money is mostly spent on books in a lot of different fields

Shannon H.

I think it might be easier to make a guess looking at the whole blade/photo of work. Indeed the carving style is later, and location on the nakago might suggest uchigatana (or is it a wakizashi?). This is one of the signatures which is probably difficult to evaluate without a blade.

Kirill R.

I’ll send photos tomorrow evening. It’s a wakizashi with Itami hada, a narrow to medium choji Hamon, and steel with a few minor flaws that is more representative of the muromachI period.  If I decide to have it polished at some point in the future it won’t likely be worth more that the cost of polish. I just like it.

My first sword went juyo with the NBTHK after polish with an attribution to the Ichimonji school of the early to mid kamakura period. Kajihara did a shinsa on it before that with an attribution to Moriie who founded the Hatakeda school. It certainly has all of the characteristics of Moriie. The nakago is ubu but unsigned. Perhaps it was made for someone important. I still have it. I guess that’s why my collection is so small. I was spoiled starting out. I bought it for ten dollars.

• Like 2