please help with information on my grandfathers sword

Mike T

If you haven't read the full thread in Steve M.'s post, click on " By pcfarrar, July 31, 2008 " it's quite interesting , the mei was even a mystery back then.

As often with Japanese swords there are differing opinions, Chris Bowen seemed to believe the  Yanagawa Yukitaro  swords were most likely non-traditional made blades, where as Mr.Trotter states he knew of one which was good quality Gendaito.  Both are probably correct...

I'm not sure whether the rather unique Swordsmith will increase the value greatly, but I suspect it very well could. Possibly provide a few of your best quality pictures of the blade itself, Kissaki, Hamon, Hada, etc. for those members experienced in evaluating quality and condition.

At some point, should ever locate a matching silver plated tsuba and appropriate seppa, the sword would be complete and look great.

Dave M.

• Like 1

That looks to be in great shape!  A real heirloom.  As others have said, it would be super cool to get original authentic parts to complete it. 

I just recently discovered a couple of incomplete blades that my grandpa brought back, as well as 2 mismatched tsukas.  My parents and I were just sitting around the dinner table lamenting the fact that most people in the western world are still ignorant of the history of Nihonto.  It's sad that so many of these were melted down or thrown into the sea, so to have one in that condition is a true treasure.  I know you'll treat it well :)

Cheers, and welcome to the NMB!

• Like 1

Chevy,

Please go to your settings, and put in a first name that will show up on all of your posts. It’s forum rules, and we are just used to having a real person to talk to rather than a screen name. Thanks.

SteveM gave us the name in a post above. It’s “Seishin (or Shōshin)”.  He is an obscure Sword Smith, and no one really knows which pronunciation is correct.

Thank you everyone so much for your help. me and my family are overwhelmed with the help. Does anyone possibly have a link or information on Seishin (or Shōshin) the maker of the blade? I'm making a dysplay for the sword and would like more information on the maker. 

This is what George Trotter said about him:  "The Yanagawa brothers of Saitama had been making swords in their shop in Suginami, Tokyo (next to Shinjuku)  since Meiji Taisho times, (mainly sabres etc which they "signed" with a stamp "Naotsugu"). Their "brand" name was "Shoshin".  In WWII they must have also been making gendai which the signed with the usual "cut" mei...usually SHOSHIN or USHOSHIN. "

• Like 2

I have been looking around online for a silver finish tsuba and haven't had much luck. One question I have... I see alot of tsuba's that are one piece and ones and have many pieces. Can somone let me know exactly what I'm looking for to make mine complete? pictures welcome. Thanks everyone 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..