Yari with strange hori and piercings for opinion

Ron STL

Here is an 18" 3-sided yari with rather strange piercings along with the hori on it. One of our local guys brought this over for discussion a couple days ago. The yari is unsigned but could be sue-koto. None of us have ever seen this done to a yari before and while extreme and a bit strange, it has meaning to  the owner who had this done to it. It would be interesting to see if anybody out there has seen something similar or would have an answer to what this symbolism truly represents.

1038191050_Yariwithhori1a.thumb.jpg.0f972c8c3ece596536efef2950cfe56b.jpg116219025_Yariwithhori1b.thumb.jpg.f4bcc50ef81b835b349fc541d805683e.jpg1299010696_Yariwithhori1c.thumb.jpg.5969e81e1b86a9a4c36a342213708988.jpg1423206939_Yariwithhori1d.thumb.jpg.46842e6b90650074d5a5b5630615b11c.jpgRon STL

Thanks for your impressions of this strange yari. It is truly a forged yari with a narrow hamon still visable and likely (based on the long kiri kubi), sue koto. The nakago is made like a yari's nakago, but these drillings would had definitely weakened it, I would think. These drillings appear to had been done a long time ago and are not something added using a drill press as mentioned. I agree it resembles a fantasy yari and the creation of somebody's imagination. Not a pretty thing for sure, just a curiosity. This is why I posted it, to see if it just might have some honest background in Japan. I wonder what that "odd sword posted" was about. Must have missed reading that post. 

Ron STL

• Like 2

Dear All.

I think the original horimono, kusabi hi, is something sometimes seen on yari.  What has happened to this one since is anybody's guess.

I don't think it has a connection to the "horror mono" on the sword that was posted a while ago.

All the best.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..