Suggestions

The new board is working well but I do have 2 thoughts.  I think having to confirm that I want to mark a forum as read is unnecessary (and annoying); I can't imagine clicking Mark As Read by accident.  And -- this one has been with me for a long time -- I wish the ENTER NMB page said "I agree to the terms below" rather than "I agree to the below terms".

And if neither of these happen, somehow I'll survive.

Thanks,  Grey

• Like 1

@Grey Doffin
That initial index page is going away. I think I'll move the entire forum to the top level of the domain as we have no need for that page and the T&C are presented to people on entering for the first time anyways.
So that issue is/will be resolved 🙂

As for confirmation of everything read..if I were to hack the software and remove that, I would get a flood of requests saying they accidentally clicked it and how to undo it.
Let's leave that one for now. Easiest is to real all posts, then you don't need to use it.
Or even better...set up an unread posts feed, using the setting of "since my last visit" and then next time it will only show new posts since the last visit, the others will be treated as read. 💡

Right...since we have a suggestions post now, I am going to ask people to post ANY suggestions they have. There are a LOT of things I need to address, and am doing them slowly as I get a chance. Some involve members that need to exit the forum for the benefit of the rest. Some involve changing the look and colours. New sections being added, and some promotion of dealers.
I aim to change the colours closer to the old forum, but to do that I need to wait a bit as we are going to an even newer software and some of the themes aren't compatible. Don't worry...not many changes for you guys.

Please post your suggestions. Anything. You can be brutal or honest. If it makes sense, and is a popular suggestion, I'll do my best to accommodate.

• Like 1

Brian

I know how hard (and painful) setting all the new stuff has been. Thanks.

Is there a way to delete the Japan News from the top of the page. I, personally, find its

scrolling a bit annoying.

Rich

• Like 1

Rich,
I like it, and thought it would be interesting to have a current news ticker running. It cost some $'s.
No way to turn it off, but I set it to be off for mobile. You probably wouldn't be at the top of the page very often, so it shouldn't show often. You can always pause it I guess, so it doesn't move?

3 hours ago, Rich S said:

Is there a way to delete the Japan News from the top of the page. I, personally, find its

scrolling a bit annoying

Agreed. The scrolling can be paused, but it must be done each time you load the page. It would be better if the browser could remember this setting.

OTOH, I am in favor of the confirmation for “mark as read”. It did happen to me in the past to click it by mistake.

15 hours ago, b.hennick said:

I was using the dark mode, which I  prefer but that dot does not show in dark mode. It is clear as day in default mode. Perhaps it can have a colour that shows in dark mode. Thanks again  Mark.

Barry, I just put myself in dark mode and make myself an activity stream that works 100% and gives me exactly what you are asking, with no issues.
It is so easy to configure, I can only think you missed a part of it So I am going to try take you through it one step at a time.
Others here can use the tutorial to put together their own streams.

• Click the top of the forum, where it says ACTIVITY
  • Click the little down arrow next to MY ACTIVITY STREAMS
  • Click UNREAD CONTENT
  • You will now have a white bar across the top with various options with dropdown arrows. Members may want to choose their own variations, but for your purposes, click the following:
  • SHOW ME --> CONTENT ITEMS ONLY
  • CONTENT TYPES --> TOPICS (apply changes)
  • READ STATUS --> CONTENT I HAVEN'T READ.  And then very important, at the bottom of that dropdown --> UNREAD ITEM LINKS TAKE ME TO THE FIRST UNREAD COMMENT. So 2 selections in this dropdown
  • OWNERSHIP --> EVERYTHING
  • FOLLOWING --> Don't select any of those unless you only want to show items you are following
  • TIME PERIOD --> Your choice, but suggest SINCE MY LAST VISIT
  • SORTING --> Your choice.

NOW...the important part. Click the box that says SAVE AS A NEW STREAM and give it a name.
Now, every time you click the top "My activity streams" you should only have to click the name you gave it, and get a list of all the topics/posts you haven't read.
And I tested it. When you click the topic name (anywhere, not just the dot that isn't showing) it will take you to the first unread post.

At the top of your ACTIVITY STREAM there are small icons to the right of the name that will alow allow you to remove that stream, edit it, and set it as your default stream.

Please try it and report back. Anyone else too.

Brian,

I opened 2 tabs, keeping your instruction steps on one and using the other to go through them and it worked nicely!  Thanks!

I've found that as I'm reading each item on my stream, all I have to do to get back to my stream is hit the "Back" arrow rather than the 3 steps it takes to go back to the top, open Activity, My Activity Streams, and My Stream.  Hitting the Back arrow gets me back to my stream, and it's even updated with the fact that I've just read the item at the top and has moved on to the next item.

Thanks!

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..