Handachi Wakizashi with engravings

BenVK

I took a chance on this Wakizashi from a UK auction recently as it looked quite interesting due to the Tokkotuki-Ken and a Fudo Myoo bonji engravings.

Condition is worse than I expected with numerous chips out of the cutting edge and a blister on the edge of the Bo-Hi but it could be restored if it's worth going down that road. The Habaki will take some work to get it off so I haven't tried yet.

What's do you guys think of it?

DSCN6593.JPG

DSCN6592.JPGDSCN6599.JPGDSCN6598.JPG

DSCN6600.JPG

DSCN6602.JPG

DSCN6605.JPG

DSCN6607.JPG

DSCN6598.JPG

• Like 2

Ben I think it's a nice find for what it is.

I like the decorations.

It will need a good polish though and you will lose some of the carvings now close to the surface.

It's almost like we could do with a less invasive polish for swords with decorative additions.

Still should be a nice item.

Where's the blister??

The mounts were in their day impressive for a handachi with that Jabarra battle complex Ito. (Wow that is an interesting auto correct!)

Jabarra style Ito was typed.

What are the menuki florals?

At a guess I would think the kozuka and tsuba swap outs by whoever owned it before. They are not as premium as the rest implied.

Pressed kozuka and almost looks cast tsuba.

What was your total Inc premium?

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies,

I was thinking early Shinto myself..

Adam, that's interesting that you mentioned the Ito because along the the engraving, that was the other reason why I bid,

It's outstanding work in my opinion which also drew me in. Hardware is/was silver plated so clearly a rather expensive setup back in the day. Tusba is carved and original to it but again, just my opinion based on fit and patina. 

Here's a photo of the Menuki, hard to say what flowers they are but they have gold highlights..

Kosuka definitely doesn't belong with this set up but I'm not complaining..

DSCN6632.JPG

DSCN6633.JPG

Well I like the jabarra Ito but it's definitely not a wartime wrap it's decorative but not durable in battle.

Perhaps more a wealthy merchant than a samurai or not made during war.

It's nice enought but I'm only really looking at the mounts.

It's seen better days but might clean up well.

Be careful with that Ito one string comes away the rest will follow as tension is lost.

Personal opinion only, I think this is a candidate for a gentle clean rather than a polish. I know that standard "best practice" is to polish the blade, but nihonto is the only area of collecting where an "as new" condition is standard. Sometimes you can lose more than you gain with that practice. It is a nice piece as it is methinks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..