Rusty Shin-Gunto Mei, which Kuni character? 國 or 国?

tbonesullivan

So, this sword has a few rust issues on the tang, though I can still mostly make out the characters, though I'm having trouble with the second one especially.

From what I can see, the first character should be 城 for part of YOSHU, or YOSHU NO KUNI, but I can't tell if the 州 character is under that rust. Searching through Mei hasn't really gotten me anywhere. 

I've had this second issue before, trying to decide if the character is a 國 or a 国 . From what I see, it's almost always 國, but some list the other form.

After that, as best I can tell, it reads  有? 大 作 

The NENGO is also a bit strange, as instead of the character for year, it just has a big circle.: 昭 和 十 八 〇 二  月  - Showa 18 (1943) 2nd Month (February)

7974mei.jpg

7974nengo.jpg

23 minutes ago, Mark C said:

Hi David,

Would it be possible to get pictures of the full blade and nakago please?

All the best

These are the best pictures I could get. The Hamon is a very slow NOTARE shape. I was not able to get it at all, as the lighting I have is totally sub optimal.

7974sugata.jpg

7974tang.jpg

54 minutes ago, Ray Singer said:

This is the smith Echigo (no) kuni Sadaroku - 越後國貞六. Dated the 2nd month of Showa 18. The "O" kanji is the sosho form of NEN.

Well I feel dumb now. I assumed "no there's no way that's a ROKU character".  Had I checked, the only one listed in the Gendaito page is Imai Sadaroku. Thanks again!  I should have looked at the province Kanji for longer than i did.

59 minutes ago, Mark C said:

Thanks David,

I asked because your nakago is in better condition than mine.

Regards

Yeah, that is a bit rough. I've seen a lot of Shin Gunto, but usually not with the type of deep rust I see on the tang of this sword and the one you have.

Worst one I had seen up until now was an example that used Cellulose Nitrate faux Ray skin. It outgassed and degraded, and turned the wrapping RED and it would disintegrate as it was touched. It also caused the entire tang to become rusted solid to the tsuka.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..