It's getting harder to move swords within the UK

Had a wakizashi and a yari confiscated and sent to the post office dangerous goods team last week and I'm still awaiting the outcome.

Royal mail will move antique swords but only up to wakizashi length at best.

Parcel force will destroy on sight

DPD will destroy on sight 

Fed ex will destroy on sight 

UPS will destroy on sight 

In fact I could find no other UK courier of global reputation that would accept a sword or antiques. As also many now prohibit antiques.

None of the parcel brokers accept swords and will if found destroy on sight.

What a nanny state we are!!!

I have heard of refusal to carry but not "destruction on sight " before Royal mail have had a 1 metre length restriction on small parcel service for some time.

It is certainly becoming much harder to move things around 

Much of this nonsense arose from the knee-jerk reaction of our pathetic government in banning the shipping of knives by post after a spate of murders and stabbings by members of drug gangs.  A rather glaring omission in this legislation was any reference to antiques. However, this rather unthinking legislation is only a supplement to existing legislation concerning prohibited weapons which does in fact exempt antiques. As a result, the new legislation does not supersede this situation. It is therefore perfectly legal to ship antique swords and knives. Sadly it is the numpties at Post Offices and shipping companies who have had the wind put up them. As for destruction, they would be risking massive compensation claims if they tried it.

Ian Bottomley

• Like 1

Paul I'm pretty sure that 1m is now 65cm as that's what my post office stated to me. They then go to Parcelforce who.....destroy on sight.

What I mean by destruction on sight is this.

If you use these companies and claim your sword is say a tripod or walking stick and the X ray sees a sword, they will open the parcel and if evidenced they were right, as per their terms and conditions destroy it rather than let it progress through the postal system and endanger staff.

It is a prohibited item and in their opinion you should have checked.

Legally you won't have a leg to stand on.

In order to evidence exemption from the offensive weapons act 2018 you must state that your sword is an antique.

Many of the above also refuse to ship antiques.

Catch 22.

However there are a few private companies that will pick up this work should you need to know of them PM me as many are ludicrously priced.

I had one quote for £200 the rest all £95 or similar and one £45 which I went for but with no insurance.

Insurance to £2000 was an extra £97.50!

• Like 2

For me, this is more of a "goods in" to the country, rather than a "goods out", which i seldom have an issue with.

Not so long ago i was speaking to antique gun dealer in the US, they will ONLY ship weapons using a service that DOES NOT end with parccelforce this side due to the fact they had a number of shipments returned by parcelforce because of their inept ability to deal with weapons/antique weapons.

UPS is the only firm they will now use as its UPS from start to finish.

Must say, it was bliss. Arrived in no time at all and UPS contacted me to fill a few forms in online whilst at customs with UPS, no hassles whatsoever, and that was an antique firearm!!

Just wish it was always so easy.

All i can add is be careful when it comes to the wording, well, as best you can. 

• Like 1

Alex that seems a contradiction by UPS.

They prohibit the movement of 

All Firearms.

Articles of exceptional value, 

works of art, antiques, precious stones, gold and silver.

In order to be exempt from the offensive weapons act you must declare an item antique .

So once it hits our shores it should be governed by UK regulations for that particular company.

I'm sure there are ways around this call it an umbrella or something, but your'e item could be siezed legally and destroyed legally as that's their printed operating rules.

look I'm no expert here but I wouldn't risk a £4000 sword on a no insurance delivery, where if found to be a weapon could be destroyed. 

in the UK we are responsible until the item has been signed for.

i guess what I'm saying is..... proceed with caution...

41 minutes ago, Babu said:

Alex that seems a contradiction by UPS.

They prohibit the movement of 

All Firearms.

Articles of exceptional value, 

works of art, antiques, precious stones, gold and silver.

In order to be exempt from the offensive weapons act you must declare an item antique .

So once it hits our shores it should be governed by UK regulations for that particular company.

I'm sure there are ways around this call it an umbrella or something, but your'e item could be siezed legally and destroyed legally as that's their printed operating rules.

look I'm no expert here but I wouldn't risk a £4000 sword on a no insurance delivery, where if found to be a weapon could be destroyed. 

in the UK we are responsible until the item has been signed for.

i guess what I'm saying is..... proceed with caution...

As "antiques", the dealer did a deal with UPS and UPS will ship to the UK.

Seems he spoke and they listened (which makes for a pleasent change)

Apparently they have their own planes so no airline issues either.

As for destruction this end. Certainly if an item is shipped without the necessary paperwork and labelled incorrectly.

I would definitely not recommend DHL.

I've had problems with them recently with parcels going AWOL and one was returned to me without an explanation.

They weren't swords but they were valuable collectible items and I paid for express shipping which was expensive.

It took several phone calls to sort out their mess and get a refund and I'll never use them again.

The returned item I shipped again with UPS with absolutely no issues at all.

Posted a sword yesterday and no issues whatsoever, already has left the country.

I would suggest to anyone posting a sword, even within the UK

To state clearly "antique, over 100 years old" and the customs tariff which is "9706.00.00.00"

Then add a note for customs/parcelforce in the box, should they want to look further, with additional info.

All been said before, best to not have delivey companies doing guess work.

12 minutes ago, Alex A said:

Posted a sword yesterday and no issues whatsoever, already has left the country.

I would suggest to anyone posting a sword, even within the UK

To state clearly "antique, over 100 years old" and the customs tariff which is "9706.00.00.00"

Then add a note for customs/parcelforce in the box, should they want to look further, with additional info.

All been said before, best to not have delivey companies doing guess work.

Like I said most UK based companies have a no antiques policy or a no sword policy shipping in the UK.

They may have different rules for exports but you still need to check.

Having spent the best part of three days talking to numerous companies this is what I found out.

If you place antique on the wording many will refuse to accept it.

Without antique before the word sword you will not comply with the offensive weapons act 2018 in shipping of antique swords.

Parcelforce as you put it not only state swords as prohibited items, but they also state they will not proceed through the network if discovered and will be destroyed.

If we import a sword I do not believe that the same rules apply and the same with exports but you do need to check because if you breach their safety rules you will lose your item and have no legal recourse.

It's not about getting away with it it's about an eyes wide open service.

Alex you exported so maybe that was in their terms of agreement.

Don't think you'll get the same from a UK to UK service because you won't.

I'm not telling this for the fun of it.

Well Adam, i can only state how things turn out with my own experiences with shipping.

Posted and recieved many arms over recent years, from swords to guns, without issue. 

Antique works for me, as its an antique and as it has not been held for any reason then i guess they must have been ok with it ?

Well packed, with no danger to employees.

If you feel it too risky then i would follow the advice above and just deliver yourself.

Bst.

• Like 1

I would suggest Alex that things may have changed.

I am sure if you call a sword an umbrella you might and I'll repeat might get away with it.

I contacted all the major courier in the UK for domestic shipping and related their responses to advise people of the risks they may be taking. If you/they chose to gamble then good luck to you.

You will struggle to find a courier that accepts antique swords for domestic delivery.

What point would there be in me making this all up?

I also noted that the broker I used ,used DHL and described the item as "Japanese metalwork" even though I told them exactly what it was to be transparent and that I wanted its description to be ”Antique Sword over 150 years old ” so you tell me???

Im not stating you are making it up Adam, the thing with parcelforce or any other big organization is that its who you speak to/deal with on the day. (i have found)

Wouldnt advise anyone to state umbrella, cricket bat etc, thats asking for bother.

Ive had "antique"  " Japanese antique"   "antique Japanese art" , for a modern sword "Japanese  metalwork art". I would add for "collector"

Its always a concern, as employees knowledge is inconsistant and hit and miss, but issues can be worked out. Before they destroy an item they will certainly contact you before hand, or maybe return to sender.

The fact is, sometimes we have to ship swords abroad and when any item has not left the country, then obviously i take full responsibility.

Best

If they discover a sword under the guise of Japanese metalwork and you have sent something that is prohibited then they will not allow it to progress through the mail system either backwards or forwards. This is the statement of the manager at the royal mail dangerous goods screening depot in Belfast.

It will be destroyed. When you try to sue they will point you to their terms and conditions.

Listen the advice was offered in good faith and every person spoken to checked with their supervisor or manager before responding.

I've just passed this on.

I'm not getting into any further debate about it.

There is a size limit for royal mail who will ship swords if you go over and they offer Parcelforce you had best check it's not a prohibited item as it certainly states it is online and with the dangerous goods team I spoke to.

It will not be returned.

Ok, probably best to stop collecting. That is unless you plan to keep items for the rest of your life or ship yourself.

I was threatened a good while ago with destruction, but that was customs, they wanted to see proof of payment. Another concern.

Anyways, all good fun this hobby haha

Let me get this right.

Are you suggesting that I stop collecting?

I didn't say we were without options just that people need to avoid assuming that an item might be acceptable when it is probably considered prohibited.

Customs Fees not paid is one thing shipping dangerous goods that are prohibited is another.

Well done for getting away with it for so long.

Let's hope your arrogant stance, doesn't turn around and bite you on the ass.

Now please keep your thoughts to yourself nothing more needs to be added by you it is clear you're far cleverer than the rest of us.

Good luck.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Arrogance ?

You started a thread and i gave a response regarding the experiences i have had with shipping, thats all.

All folk that collect swords must be aware of the risks, hence for some people (as a generality) it may be too much hassle, and understandable.

Over and out.

27 minutes ago, Alex A said:

Ok, probably best to stop collecting. That is unless you plan to keep items for the rest of your life or ship yourself.

I was threatened a good while ago with destruction, but that was customs, they wanted to see proof of payment. Another concern.

Anyways, all good fun this hobby haha

Your words for the record

The irony is so thick it is condensing on the mirrors.
Geez. It's like having Adrian back. Adam, you jump to far too many conclusions. Alex was making a comment about ALL collectors should stop collecting unless they plan on keeping every item, if it is impossible to ship anything.
Obtuse yes...but wasn't directed at you specifically. Sarcasm at its weakest.
But everyone seems so eager to argue lately. Perhaps if you weren't in every thread you may not have to argue so much.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1