Swords of Japan

I'm sure all of you know and have interacted with Ray Singer and Swords of Japan before. He appears to be a respected voice on these boards and I am sure others as well. I became acquainted with Ray as of some direct information I picked up here with the suggestion to purchase an initial sword from someone on this site. Based on that information, I went to the Swords of Japan website and found a beautiful Takada Muneyuki Katana in a very reasonable range. After some initial discussions with Ray, including some wonderful background on the sword and the smith I decided to purchase the sword. That's where it all went downhill, for the sword.

The transaction was professional and quick with the sword shipped to my house quickly thereafter. Sometime after it was dropped off at USPS, the sword fell out of the system. No scans were made, the delivery date came and went. This went on for a little over 5 weeks on a shipment that should have taken 4 days. During this whole time, Ray was working the system trying to find information for me to keep me up to date with the results. All told, he said he spent 50 hours on the phone with the USPS.

Well, after 5 weeks, he finally decided all avenues had been exhausted and decided to make an insurance claim. Well as usually happens when that type of decision is made, USPS decides to walk up to my house and drop off the sword. The package was a little beat up but the sword inside was well packaged and unharmed.

I really appreciate the efforts that Ray went through to make this happen. Most would have thrown up their hands after a week. With that, as long as I am in this hobby he has a customer.

There is too much negative in this world and sometimes it's nice to focus on the positives.

Jim Blubaugh

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Hi Jim, thank you for sharing the story here and I am just relieved that the sword finally arrived. I will add to this that I needed to open investigations three times with USPS. The cases would be under investigation for a week at a time with no progress or call-backs, and then were simply closed. After this I opened investigations with Consumer Affairs first at the Florida side of the journey and then the California side. In retrospect, perhaps I should have initiated the claim at an earlier point but I continued to receive promises of a call-back "soon" with additional information, which were never fulfilled. As I told Jim in my last email, I am grateful and appreciative of his patience and understanding throughout this long process.

Best regards,

Ray 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Yes, the old insurance claim does have a magical effect.  I once had a sword delivered to the wrong person.  When I looked him up, he showed up on a list of felons!  Anyway, I put in an insurance claim and the USPS actually sent somebody to the guys house to get the sword back.  It was that or pay off a $3000 claim!

• Like 1

I have known, and worked with Ray for many years now.  I hold him in the highest regard, and beyond reproach.  He is reasoned, kind, uber helpful, and compassionate.  

The fact that the sword was packaged so well and did not suffer damage despite mishandling and temporary loss, shows that he had care and concern for the recipient and the item before trouble even began.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..