Tsuba & Seppa Orientation

Greetings all,

I am trying to find information on tsuba and seppa orientation when fitted together. I researched past information and seem to get mix results on this. On the decorative side of my Edo period tsuba featuring Shoki warrior, would that face the kissaki or the tang? My next question is the seppa pictured below. I understand the larger seppa fits on habaki side of tsuba, but which way does it face with the punch marks? Are the punch marks for the habaki to fit into? 

Thank you,

Mike

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

I have seppa like that I've no idea what it's doing other than making microscopic adjustment.

The flat always faces the tsuba which has a more decorative side that buts up to a seppa then the Fuchi.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mike.

If I read your question correctly you want to understand which way around the seppa are fitted.  Usually there is a witness mark, minor denting where one seppa sits snugly against the habaki.  The seppa you show has been adjusted as Dave says, not common to need that much adjustment so it might be a seppa that has been added to complete the mount.  The planishing marks, (the dents)   should fit against the tsuba so that they are not visible, they are not for the habaki to fit.

Here is a picture that might help.

CIMG1103.thumb.JPG.b616a0e788bbc28364a15b3674fdcfa3.JPG

Hope that helps.

All the best.

• Like 1

Couldn't have said it better Geraint.  Mike, Geraint is referring to the seppa on the right.  You see how there is an outline where it supported a habaki and the habaki dented it?  Also, you can see that some of the tarnish from the silver has rubbed off onto the seppa.  Babu, please forgive me if this is "obvious".  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

your seppa may be a second hand used seppa, and the inner has been hammered to fit a smaller tang size.
It seems it's not necessary "the biggest seppa on habaki side" it's depending on actual saya and fuchi size.
I have a sword with exact same section on fuchi and koi guchi, so boith seppa are identical except the dents due to habaki, seppa are ginkise, so quite easy to damage to silver foil.
I remember I had another sword, where saya and fuchi were different, and seppa were different of course, when I make new seppa, I keep about 0,5 to 1mm extra material all around to fuchi or saya, then I make the slope and then I make the cuts.
I remember even seen once a kinkise seppa with asymetrical shape to match the fuchi takazogan shape, so I made same one a sword I have here.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..