strange wakizashi on eBay

I don't think it is a very well polished sudareba, but sudareba it is. I have some stunning pics of sudareba that I took of a sword here in a shop in Kobe that I will upload when I get back. In person, a well done polish really looks stunning and is a great kantei point.

Brian

Hi All,

My first ever Blade found in a Barn in Devon 25 years ago was a Tamba No Kami Yoshimichi and the Sudare-Ba was a lot nicer than the hamon shown on this listing ,Lineage from the mishina school if i remember rightly.

I am not sure of the swirls and the 2 dots but i hate this version of this usually intersting hamon.

Mine was simply the lines with a swirl twice either side,but it was so much nicer and more expertly done.

It was a fashionable variant of the showy hamons like Kiku sui , Hako-Ba ,Sanbonsugi and other striking hamon.

Brought back memories none the less.

regards

Shan

• 2 weeks later...

Jean,

Unfortunately I would be lying if I guessed. The shop spoke NO English at all, and I was too busy gazing to take notes.

However I did see a LOT of Tanba no kami Yoshimichi on this trip. It was as if every shop had one or 2, with papers to various generations.

Brian

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

So what you are saying is that the application of the abrasive materials was considerably below the usual, expected, exemplary standards and therefore the results are lacking in their aesthetic beauty and refinement? :glee: :glee:

yeah..the polish sucks. (top one, not the new pics)

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..