Jingasa, cool or step child of Kabuto? With example.

waljamada

So I have an edo armor do, have an edo menpo and now looking for something edo up top.  I was going to use the top of a Darth Vader helmet or just have a hovering menpo over the armor on a stand...the Darth Vader Helmet may be a possibility still for the time being and the hovering menpo just looked lonely....but I did see a Jingasa I like the look of, the color, the design, the price and how it would look with my armor/menpo. 

Was wondering what people here think of Jingasa as armor pieces and collectibles and also this specific Jingasa.  I've noticed many painted/decorated versions.  Also the different shapes/materials etc...this one I can't tell if its for sure metal construction (I think it is..) and the design/construction does seem more friendly to actual battle in addition to travel than many ive seen. 

I still however dont have a great eye for these things.  Also would the construction of this Jingasa follow similar lines such as a *insert #* ken kabuto as it appears to be made of many panels?  Thanks in advance for any responses.

SmartSelect_20200823-165748_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200823-165753_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200823-165802_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200823-165807_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200823-165816_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200823-165821_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200823-165827_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200823-165833_eBay.jpg

Don't take it as fact, but I think most jingasa were made with a base material (wood and other natural elements), and finished with lacquer. I think the general type was simply to keep the head dry, but there might be a large amount of foot soldiers that could not afford or simply wouldn't get a kabuto or full armor and thus opted for a lacquered jingasa for the above stated reason and probably because the lacquer was quite strong and would still protect the head area more than a hat made of reed in case for instance an arrow hit that region.

Then again I'm not sure as most I've seen were reasonably simple. The shape you show is sometimes referred to as a Daimyo class but I'm not sure if its correct. It is most likely lacquered wood.

I have one of such objects but surely it was not used for battle as it offers less protection than a wet towel!🤣

a.jpg

Finally heard back from seller and that Jingasa is made of wood, paper and laquer.  So protection levels and chances of battle use went down.

Axel, the description of it does call it a daimyo jingasa.   Is the "daimyo" naming its style or of build.  When i Google it, i can't get a clear answer.  They just use the term daimyo jingasa a d then explain the daimyo relationship to its soldiers.  

I could also buy this kabuto for double the price of the jingasa.  Its also listed as edo era.

This kabuto has a clean look to it and the colors are a match to my armor.  The clean look is due to the simplicity of its build which leads me to believe its a more common variety thats probably easier to make in quantity.  No real stand out features other than the condition seems quite good and not many cracks in the laquer.  My eye also tells me it just seems a little bit too clean....makes me a bit suspicious of it. 

SmartSelect_20200823-191119_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200823-191124_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200823-191131_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200823-191136_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200823-191145_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200823-191152_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20200823-191159_eBay.jpg

Well honestly, i don't know much about armor. I think the shape was pretty much reserved for such class of warrior/governor etc. Perhaps also to be a clear recognizable image on the battle field?

I know kabuto are also tricky as they rely heavily on condition, and many a laymen (like me),  do not know what to pay attention to and perhaps buy something they regret later, after reading a little about it. I suppose here to one can probably better buy books to learn before buying something. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Uwe, yeah, that did help a lot thank you.  Zunari kabuto were close to my guess, a streamlined no bells and whistles design for kabuto and cool to learn that as a design Zunari go back to the muromachi era.   The Toyota Corolla of the kabuto world. 

Personally I really like the Zunari design.  Clean, crisp and efficient.  Aesthetically I prefer it to many of the more elaborate helmets eventhough I do respect the craftsmanship of them.

As for the Bajo-Jingasa, for some reason horseback just never crossed my mind with these thing and I never imagined the scenario.  Also learned how that cloth secures the helmet to the head which I hadn't yet figured out.  I wondered about their strength and it brought me to a youtube video of someone shooting an arrow at Japanese a laquered cloth armor that stopped the arrow and gave me an idea of the abilities.

I've heard that jingasa were generally regarded as head protection for lower-class footsoldiers and were mass-produced. But I imagine its much more complicated than that. For example, a jingasa would obviously be superior on horseback as it allows for superior vision.

I understand that Jingasa were for all levels (low to high) and were just more of an everyday hat (those that had both, used the kabuto in battle).  Here's one of mine - iron but light and lacquered gold underneath (I also understand that the color of lacquer underneath was a sign of social status - e.g., black, red, gold).

Jingasa 1.jpg

Jingasa 2.jpg

• Like 1

Rich, yeah the Darth Vader helmet was inspired by kabuto.  The Zunari-kabuto looks to be the version that most inspired it and the photo above of thr Zunari from the back looks exactly like a Darth Vader Helmet in general form. 

George Lucas was a huge fan of Akira Kurosawa films.  For example R2D2 and C3PO including their arc and relationship dynamic was directly inspired by the two peasants in "The Hidden Fortress".

Greg, please do.  Share the Zunaris if ya got em guys! 

I ended up buying that Zunari-kabuto last night.  No idea if I got a great deal or anything but it perfectly matches my armor colors.  Outbid on a maetate today on ebay I liked to complete it.

I don't have the Zunari in hand yet but I just now photoshopped everything together.  Never had the armor and menpo set up together either but I combined photos of each piece and came up with this.  Cant judge true color closeness of yet as the lighting is all totally different for the kabuto and yoroi-do.

Nothing fancy and its age shows but I don't mind a little roughness on the edges.  I've almost completed building my stand for these three pieces and I don't think I'll try and complete any further (after the maetate of course).

20200825_203207.jpg

Here it is.

I saw your Zunari for sale a few days ago and liked it. I think you got a pretty good deal as its in very good condition.

Your armor will look good together, much better in person. 

I'm looking forward to having a complete armor to go with my Kobuto, I'm still waiting on a Dou I ordered from Japan and will gradually get the rest in the future. 

My iaido/kenjutsu sensai said if I put the armor on display in the gym I run he will donate a kendo armor to put beside it to display also which will look great.

20200826_185712.jpg

20200826_185727.jpg

Greg, really nice set and I gotta say when it comes time enjoy shopping for its match and the reward when you see it all together.  The menpo looks made for the helmet.  My little "set" gives a way a bit of that pieced together look.  With its age a bit of a zombie-esque appearance.

• Like 1

Adam I think your armor will look a little bit less peiced together when all togethef under the same light. 

When the dou finally arrives I sill make a stand share a pic of everything together. The dou looks like it will match my kobuto and menpo, im looking forward to getting them together.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..