Frankie Banali: The passing of a fellow sword collector

I was saddened to learn today of Frankie Banali's passing on August 20th from viewing Mike Yamazaki's website. Thanks for the post Mike. Frank was only 68, and just one year younger than me. He apparently passed from Stage 4 pancreatic cancer, and put up a hell of a fight. I will miss him.

I first met Frankie when he came into the S,F. Token Kai one year. He had an interest at the time in Mishina Yoshimichi blades, as did I,  so we had something in common, and we had some fun conversations about swords, his travels to Japan, and struck up a casual friendship. I found him very personable, friendly, and willing to share his love of sword collecting and knowledge very readily.What I found interesting was that he was not only a sword collector, he was the drummer of the heavy metal band "Quiet Riot," one of my secretary's favorite bands. When I told him of my secretary's love of his band, he was kind enough to send me an autographed picture of the band, signed by all members, and a copy of their latest album, before it was released, to give to her. He did this out of the blue, without me asking, just because he was that kind of thoughtful person. My secretary was beside herself. 

Sometime later, Frankie purchased a second generation Kikumon Yoshimichi from me. I do not know whatever happened to the tanto after he purchased it. I hope he enjoyed it like I did..

One time when Frankie's band, Quiet Riot, was coming to my home town (Chico, California), Frankie called or emailed me and asked if I would like to attend the concert, and of course I said "Yes," and he put me and my nephew, and his friend on the Guest list. They put on an incredible concert, and Frankie was amazing on the drums, as usual. It was a memorable concert that my nephew and others in Chico still talk about...thanks to Frankie.

I  will miss seeing him coming into the S.F. Token Kai and speaking with him. He was a great guy, a knowledgeable sword collector, and fellow  lover of all things Japanese. I am better for our paths crossing on this journey of life, as I  am sure many others are who knew Frankie. Rest in Peace, Frankie.

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan    

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Bill, thanks for the note.  No collector who has been "bitten by the bug" should pass from this world without a tribute from a fellow collector.  A nasty disease and to hear he was "only" 68 is a sad note, but it puts my 76 into perspective...

RIP.

BaZZa.

• Like 2

Bill (Yoshimichi), my story is very similar to yours. In about 1995, Frankie called me out of the blue, because he had seen my name and address in the JSSUS newsletter (I had written an article). He said his band was playing in town that night, and he wanted to get together to talk swords. He came to the house by taxi, and left the meter running in the driveway - I told him I would take him to the show venue after we were done, so he could let the taxi go.

Over the next few years, he came to the house one more time and had dinner with us.

In 1999, he put me on the Will Call list for their show at the Colorado State Fair, headlined by Ted Nugent. Me and a buddy went, and after QR's performance we "hung out" with the band backstage. Kevin DuBrow (vocalist, he died some years ago) was quite the "class clown" type of guy. Rudy Sarzo (bassist) was a super nice and down-to-earth guy.

When at our house, our daughter (age 4 at the time) saw Frankie's heavy-metal hair and his tattoos, and said in front of everybody: "Daddy, is he your *friend*??".  🙂

Frankie lived longer than his prognosis. He did at least *19* rounds of chemo, and was still posting updates of his battle online until about a month ago.

Pete

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..