Fishing in Springtime Kofu Tsuba

cdrcm12

Hi,

I posted in the Translation Assistant last night the mei of this tsuba and thanks to Steve M for completing the translation.

府住 - Kōfu-jū

逸平義久 - Itsuhira Yoshihisa

I've now taken some images (hopefully they have come out okay?) of the whole tsuba which I think depicts fishing in springtime, going by a bit of research on Japanese/Chinese landscape prints. Assuming late Edo period.

I can't find any information on the maker, any insight from the forum would be welcome. Found a couple of similar variations of this theme but unsigned.

There doesn't seem to much in the way of literature on Kofu tsuba, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction?

Also interested in if this is the makers full name? Used to seeing two character signatures.

Fishing in Springtime, 1747 - Ike no Taiga | Japanese painting ...

Fishing in springtime, Ike - no - Taiga (1747)

IMG_20200822_221711.thumb.jpg.1c1da35b923ba00a1444b92344f527fa.jpg

IMG_20200822_221632.thumb.jpg.3bd98333188b3142ec5133d6d49aa579.jpg

IMG_20200822_220603.thumb.jpg.efda64679876d68634d99c74687b4b10.jpg

Tsuba dimensions:

Height: 77mm

Width: 71mm

Mimi: 4.1mm

Seppa dai: 4.4mm

Thanks

Colin

Dear Colin,

Most tsuba that have this "Chinese Landscape" scene with a solitary person on a mountain path with a temple/pagoda at the top are references to Mount Hōrai (Mount Penglai).  As one of our most scholarly and humorous members (Guido Schiller) taught us years ago in reference to "Hōrai Tsuba": "蓬莱 Hōrai is a legendary, holy Chinese mountain in the Eastern Sea that is often visited by hermits. 鶴亀 tsurukame (crane and turtle) are symbols of a long life. They both can be synonymous for each other, so tsuba that have a motif of crane and/or turtle and/or rocks and/or pine trees and/or bamboo are often referred to as 蓬莱図 (Hōrai-zu)."

However, in this particular case, I think your tsuba refers to Dewa Sanzan - a set of three holy mountains in Japan that have been the location of a rebirth pilgrimage for the past 1,400 years.  These mountains were visited by royalty and poets (including Basho), and near the top of one of the mountains there is a famous pagoda partially hidden among ancient cedars and a temple.  At the foot of the mountains there is a lake with an old teahouse that juts out over the water.  That appears to contain all the elements of your tsuba.

Your Tsuba:

215609104_YourTsuba.thumb.jpg.0e340ab35b7a67316e8b5bd6456893d2.jpg

Mount Hōrai Tsuba:

Mount Penglai.jpg

Dewa Sanzan Drawing (showing slopes that match your tsuba):

Dewa Sanzan.png

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..