Tanto with Massive Brass or Bronze Dragon Mounting

Promo

Well, long time no posts from my side, then two threads within two days. Was at a retired gunsmith friend of mine today when he handed me over a Tanto which he was given for sale. Took it home with me for closer inspection and of course took better pictures to get feedback because I've never seen anything like this before.

The mounting is so massive, you simply can't believe it when you have it in hands. Especially since it is heavy as well (total weight of all parts is 1418g). Due to not being able to find something comparable I however have no idea whether this is original, or just a modern day reproduction that was fitted with an older blade. One side of the jaw of the dragon is broken off, tried to show this in pictures - that damage seems to be older however. Overall length of  mounting is 47cm, the blade itself only has 37,5cm length of which 26cm are cutting length. The blade seems to be older, but not in very good condition. It however has a nicely engraving on it.

Please find attached some pictures that I took, if there is any more to show, let me know! Plus a big thanks in advance for any help that you can give me on it!

dragon_01.jpg

dragon_02.jpg

dragon_03.jpg

dragon_04.jpg

dragon_05.jpg

dragon_06.jpg

dragon_07.jpg

dragon_08.jpg

dragon_09.jpg

dragon_10.jpg

• Like 2

First thought was tourist piece. But once I started looking closer, everything says "get this properly checked out"
This has possibilities. First to see if it has a complete hamon. I think there is age there. Get it to a qualified polisher for an opinion. Hmmm....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

It does have all the hallmarks of a Meiji era tourist piece, but well executed. A very interesting curio/display piece for anyone.

Did you refer to the mounting only, or also on the blade? I'm mainly asking since the other blade shown in this thread houses a very different blade. Maybe they made these as tourist pieces, but simply used any older blade of smaller value (at least at that time of smaller value) they could find?

Brian, I unfortunately do not know any polishers. And maybe this is also because I'm not too deep into this topic, but can a blade be polished despite it was engraved/will the polishing harm the engraving?

It would be appreciated if someone could tell me what a fair offer on it, pictured as is, is, because as mentioned it belongs to a friend of mine who is looking to sell it. Thanks!

There is one on a dealers website in the UK it was £750 two years ago and is £750 now.it has a real tempered and signed blade but likely Gimei as part of the blades refit.

I did contemplate it about a year ago but then rejected it.

It's not for everyone.

I don't know what country your in but it's worth what someone is willing to pay based on desire to own.

3 hours ago, Promo said:

Did you refer to the mounting only, or also on the blade? I'm mainly asking since the other blade shown in this thread houses a very different blade. Maybe they made these as tourist pieces, but simply used any older blade of smaller value (at least at that time of smaller value) they could find?

Brian, I unfortunately do not know any polishers. And maybe this is also because I'm not too deep into this topic, but can a blade be polished despite it was engraved/will the polishing harm the engraving?

It would be appreciated if someone could tell me what a fair offer on it, pictured as is, is, because as mentioned it belongs to a friend of mine who is looking to sell it. Thanks!

Both, the blade is an older one for sure but perhaps nothing precious. As you said, many were made in the same pattern and used whatever Tanto were around at the time. The Horimono on your example is quite nicely executed and the shape is good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..