New Gold Tier Subscription/Membership Launched

Andrey,
Possibly your Paypal account doesn't allow for this kind of subscription payment. If you go into STORE --> DONATIONS and do a single payment of the $30 for 6 months or $60 for a year, I'll manually upgrade your membership. Or you can use the link in my signature and do the same.
Applies to anyone too. Best to add a note that it is for Gold Membership if you can. Thanks very much!

• 4 months later...

Wanted to just mention...it is now coming up to the 6 month anniversary of the launch of the new Gold Tier and Dealer Membership.
Some of the kind members who took out a 6 month gold membership are now up for renewal. In some cases, it is automatic, and in others it drafts up an invoice but requires manual payment.
Folks...this has been a lifesaver to the forum, and finally we have breathing room, no breakdowns, more upload capacity, faster speeds....and most importantly this has taken some worry about finances away.
So all I want to ask...those of you who did take out a subscription, please consider renewing it if you are able? It is a big help and isn't a lot of money.
https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/subscriptions/

Thanks guys, and I hope everyone is well.

Brian

• Like 3

My 6 month subscription ends tomorrow (2/21).  I just switched to the 12 month, but I have no idea if I am on automatic payment or not (don’t remember if signed up that way) and I haven’t received any type of notification.  Will wait to see what happens... but fully intend on keeping the subscription.

Thanks guys. Nothing will happen until it actually expires. Then I think those on automatic PP subscription will just be renewed, and those not will be emailed an invoice, as it acts like a purchase.
Really appreciate the support. We still have to make full use of the albums and downloads sections, there is much possibility there.

• 1 year later...

Hi Simon,

Many thanks, that's a big help.
You can use your credit card via the page here: http://www.militaria.co.za/donations.html
You may need to clear the international payment with your bank, but it usually goes through fine. Send the $ or Euro equivalent and I'll allocated it to Gold membership.

Brian

49 minutes ago, Brian said:

Hi Simon,

Many thanks, that's a big help.
You can use your credit card via the page here: http://www.militaria.co.za/donations.html
You may need to clear the international payment with your bank, but it usually goes through fine. Send the $ or Euro equivalent and I'll allocated it to Gold membership.

Brian

I tried that, but it doesn't work, that's why I'm asking like this.

• 3 months later...

Just got a manual renewal notice. Updated my address...again... (have moved 4 times in the past 5 years, ugh, relationship drama...) and paid via Paypal, got the confirmation, no issues. Very smooth. 

Sorry for being so quiet lately. Hope to change that here soon. Actually have a few new blades I hope to show off and get opinions on. 

Have to say this is one of the most valuable and informative websites I've found on the internet. Even with my Nihonto books, I've learned far more from you guy's knowledge and experience. Happy 2023 to all of us! 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Bruce,
The easiest way is just to cruise to the top of the forum and select STORE --> SUBSCRIPTIONS
https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/subscriptions/

That will show the 3 options available. These subscriptions play a major role in supporting the forum, and I actually need to find a way to increase memberships, so if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
I am about to embark on a bit of a campaign to try and increase memberships or contributions as I really don't want to have to go to any advertising or paid sections if I can help it.
The regular subscribers are the backbone of the board, and can't continue without them. Both Paypal and credit card via Payfast are available, and if anyone needs assistance they can just reach out to me.
What features would people like to see added to provide more value? The translation section already makes this place invaluable, but I know some prefer more "advantages" before they will sign up. Sales are brisk too, but donations are waaay down. Regular dealers are encouraged to take a dealer membership where they have complete control of their listings and can edit, add, delete and control comments. Another useful feature.
To sum up the advantages of Gold Membership currently:

• Access to exclusive themes not available to regular members (more coming)
  • Private message limit of 500 messages (Regular members 150)
  • Ability to edit your own posts for 2 days instead of 12 hours
  • Allowed to use a commercial link in your signature
  • Can use search function with only 10 second delay between searches (Usually 20)
  • Can upload 10 attachments per post
  • 7.5 Meg per post upload limit instead of 3 Megs
  • Can use an image in signature (800x100px)
  • Can send messages to someone even if their inbox is full
  • 1.5 Gig total attachment storage
  • More reactions allowed per day
  • Support the forum

Brian, hope you are feeling improved.

Are you trying to increase membership or increase income….or both?

Ok, I’m a relative newcomer on here but I’m amazed at the number of members, obviously long-termers/regular contributors who are not gold members. The cost of gold is totally inconsequential to anyone who collects anything that we discuss on this forum 

………………………..WHY SO MEAN FOLKS????…………………

So, I’m sure it’s been considered before but why not simply charge for access to the site? Whenever I look at who is online there are usually far more guests than members all using the forum for free, all benefitting from the vast knowledge store that is here. Im not on any other social media but this forum is a bit different isn’t it?

If all non-gold members paid a small annual fee , say $10, what sort of a difference would that make? 
Would you really leave the forum because of $10 a year?

Where else would we ever get this kind of access and help?

Then for non members, charge them say $5 for a months access? If they decide not to pay you loose nothing financially but if they do pay it’s a totally fresh income stream.

I anticipate howls of objections but how much do you all spend on coffee every week? 

Just some random thoughts driven by economics 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Colin,
Membership increases would always be great. But it's hard to compete with social media like Facebook where people expect instant gratification disposable knowledge. It's not really what we are here for. We'll always have the hit and run members looking for a quick translation or buck, and membership will always wax and wane. It's also true we have lost many good members for various reasons. If I cold lure them back, I'd gladly try. It's also true we have tens of thousands of guests browsing...far more than members. Increasing income is the goal though. As I get older, it would be nice to see a small but steady income that can be used for other things..I don't think that's a lot to ask. I could easily charge a small amount for use of the translation section and the commercial section. But that is a bit unfair to the guys who do all the work and provide all the info. I owe them a ton.
That said, I've always wanted the forum to be mainly free and charging for info would be my last choice. Yes...the info provided makes people money and is so easy to access. But I really hesitate to think of this place going to a membership fee, and doubt I would do that. We would lose a lot of people. You'd be surprised at how many object to any fee at all. Fair enough. Yes..guys would leave over a $10 fee. Crazy, but a fact.
So the easiest is to offer more to those willing to contribute. Many here never leave the commercial section or the translation section and don't even know memberships exist. The number of guys who have no idea....I don't get it. But then again, I have to read every single post every day to remove spam, fraud etc. and am used to seeing every section.
I have an upcoming trip to the San Fran show thanks to an amazing offer from a collector....first time for me at any US show and it would be amazing to be able to use a few hundred $'s for some of the expenses that I need to suddenly find money for. But more on that later. I refuse to feel bad for getting some benefit from running this place to be able to have a good Nihonto trip. We'll see how that goes. I'm looking forward to meeting many of you, and also have 10 hours in London so maybe I can meet up with some members there too. And 3 days in New York for my first vacation in 10 years. It's an exciting time for me, but the solar tapped me out, so I am scrambling. Anyways, that's an aside, and not the main reason for the fund drive. But since Bruce brought it up (I didn't ask for that..I promise) I guess I'll start with the fund raising appeal soon.
Pain killers have me drifting all over the place with this post..lol

Short version...forced payments are morally against what I want for this place.
San Fran, New York and London are a go. I hope to meet some of you, maybe dinner or a gathering?
Funds are always needed, some had to go to the trip by necessity and some forum expenses will come out of daily funds..that is fine. We are good. We could be better. But we are generally good. But doesn't hurt to try and see who considers the forum a benefit. There are a LOT of very good guys out there, guys who have supported us for years. Guys that I'm proud to service with this place. You all know who you are.
I'll be doing a separate post about the trip....let's meet as many of you as we can. Those who want to contribute to the trip or the forum or from sales, subscription links are above, and so is the donate link at the top.

If you don't...I won't think any less of you. I prefer knowing that donations come from guys who enjoy this place and who get use of it. The military section for example...has grown from a tiny sideline here to probably the best resource anywhere in the world. You guys maintain that section yourselves, I just sit back in wonder at what you achieve. It is now a major section that is constantly breaking new ground. Translation section? Best you will find anywhere online, maintained by amazing guys with exceptional skills. I'm constantly amazed at what this place can deliver, once you learn to weed out the off topic and fun.
Ok, more later, and thanks all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I didn't read all Brian's post because I can't,  but I think the gist of it was we don't want to hit and run like Facebook we have enough of those guys come in and ask for info sell something and they're gone, got to keep it old school brothers.

God bless you all or which ever you apply to.

• Like 3