Tachi Bringback

Promo

I forgot to mention - the blade was papered by NBTHK which attributed the blade indeed to a particular name. So there is a solution (well, if the NBTHK is correct with their assumption) to this as well. But for education and fun I'll wait with posting this until maybe next week so hopefully all that participated in there can give a second guess and see how they compare with that. Thanks for the participations so far, hope to get many more :)

• Like 2

@Ken-Hawaii, @Valric, @Kawa, @Katsujinken, @Surfson, @SteveM, @PNSSHOGUN , @geekman, @vajo & @Bazza - you had previously commented in a specific direction on this blade in this thread. Would you want to give a more updated guess, or would you stick with your previous comment anyway? Planned to "unveil" the NBTHK attribution on Tuesday, so some time for you to see if you with the blade now in polish come to a different period/smith/etc. Thought this "Kantei" would be real fun, especially since some opinions are so much different (period-wise) from others.

@Jussi Ekholm thanks for your guess, noted! If less tough you may also make a period/school/region guess or more than just one particular name.

Thanks Georg.  I'm about to go out of town, but had a quick look.  I changed my mind on the length and now suspect that it was shortened.  having a nagasa of 75 cm after shortening means it was likely quite long.  Based on what looks like a high shinogi, and the hamon, I am going to guess Yamato Tegai.  I'm not afraid of being spectacularly wrong!  I hope you like the shinsa result that you got.  

• Like 1

Well, since it is now Tuesday up for the "solution" (or what the NBHTK thought it is) - the Hozon papers attributed the blade to Hokke-Ichijō (法華⼀乗).

Period-wise some were fully spot on, including @Jussi Ekholm. I hope this was some fun for all those who gave their opinions. Now it only needs to come back from Japan for myself to see it in hands.

Hozon.jpg

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Promo said:

Well, since it is now Tuesday up for the "solution" (or what the NBHTK thought it is) - the Hozon papers attributed the blade to Hokke-Ichijō (法華⼀乗).

Period-wise some were fully spot on, including @Jussi Ekholm. I hope this was some fun for all those who gave their opinions. Now it only needs to come back from Japan for myself to see it in hands.

Hozon.jpg

Thank you, Georg!

There were several generations of HI, spanning from the end of Nanbokucho well into Muromachi and their origins lie in Yamato via Mihara Masaie and Kokubunji (but apparently HI did more nie than these). Interesting.  

• Like 1

Thank you Georg, that was very interesting, and fun to see how much of the details came visible after the polish. Now that the attribution is revealed I do think it does fit when looking at Hokke & Hokke Ichijō swords. One of my 3 swords has an old attribution to Hokke Ichijō (I am not sure if it would be Hokke) and I am intending to send it to NBTHK some day to see how they see it now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..