Novice looking for advice

matthew

Hi everyone , im very much a novice and im looking to buy a mantetsu sword which i have my eye on , i dont doubt the seller but im looking for a second opinion as such , i hope you dont mind me putting a few pictures up of the signature just to see what you think.

thanks

IMG_8934.jpg

IMG_8935.jpg

IMG_8936.jpg

IMG_8937.jpg

IMG_8933.jpg

IMG_8925.jpg

• Like 2

Matthew,

That's a good lookin' Mantetsu.  Please do me a favor and get the seller to send you a pic of the full serial number on the nakago mune (back edge of tang).  Quite often have to remove the habaki to reveal the full number.

If you buy it, please post more pics of the whole rig.  Love to see it all.  Also, at least PM me with your purchase price.  I'm very curious to see what the COVID market price is on Mantetsu these days.

Spoiler

ア 一七 (A17) 昭和癸未春 (1943 Spring) 満鐵鍛造之 (SMR forged this)

Looks like a 36th series, army contract blade.  If you acquire it, double-check the date side and see if it has an M inspection mark.  The M can be found toward the top or bottom of the nakago and sometimes both locations will have one.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..