Looking for a lost post

Spartancrest

I read a post some time back dealing with a tsuba that had a hole drilled through the 'jaw' of a rain-dragon or serpentine-dragon, I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction?

The pictures below are of the type I am looking for -  Also if anyone has pictures of the same style they could donate, it would be much appreciated. 

Thank you.

I have noticed that a lot of past posts with links to eBay and others are no longer found because the sites remove them from their data base, I think when linking such sites a copy of the picture should be posted as well, so the link information is not totally lost. It is no effort to 'print screen' and paste to the post.

two dragons.jpg

Thanks so much Greg, I must admit I have had the image of your guard for a few years now. Out of interest did you pay the asking price? The other examples I have not seen before. At the moment I have over thirty examples as a data base [ four examples of my own ], Although they are all the same general design there are a few anomalies I have found. You will notice one of the curls on this example goes in the opposite direction to almost all other examples [I have found only two like this]. The 'mane' is sometimes thinner and the stalk of the eye ball can stick out at a different angle. A lot are signed Toshimasa but some are signed by other smiths and a number are mumei.

image.thumb.png.ad2950951adb13aa822da5379a2fe336.pngimage.thumb.png.d93c8217303ad02cec00c324b75d8b07.png

• Like 2

Greg I have three iron daisho on record, iron examples tend to be in the minority, of the 34 I have, only 12 are in iron and of these, six make up the three daisho. One surprising thing is some of the smaller guards (sho) are not signed, so they may have been cobbled together. Particularly the two from "The Japanese Sword & its Fittings",
Cooper Union Museum N.Y. 1966. The design does not match.

image.thumb.png.7a73a8b87f523bbab0cb58298b069f74.png

[these pictured are both signed by the same artist] 

image.thumb.png.3c288093f11652ab822f040945d24b45.png

Thank you so much Colin, I found your post [seems a bit more difficult since the changes] I do recall there was another example that had a round hole cut in it as well but I can't track that down as yet. 

As a bit of fun you could always set a small diamond in your Dragon - it would look like he was crying? 😂 Real Samurai bling!

I must say I love the patina on your guard.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..