New member from Brazil with a Katana

Hi,

I'm a new member, from Brazil, and have a Japanese sword, I think it is a Katana, the blade have about 24,5 inches.

It's not in very good condition unfortunately, but I believe it is possible to restore it.

I'm trying to find out some information, like translation of the signature.

I am hoping someone may be able to help with any information.

Thanks a lot.
Elielson

Katana_1.jpg

Katana_2.jpg

signature.jpg

signature_b.jpg

Just the strange marks on the top of the Nakago then. 

Trick of perspectives. 

Do you intend to get it polished only the damage to the Nakago reduces its expected values considerably. 

I would probably not spend the money unless this smith were a massive name and the blade an exceptional study piece. 

To me personally and with no offence its kinda "had it" so to speak. 

Not a drill, the marks are not consistent with a circular motion a drill would make.This is more a reciprocating motion.

With a drill even if it slipped you would have elliptical signs or spirals.

I see the new drill hole so it's a good call but I don't believe right.

We may never know but it's certainly ruined that sword for me.

Looks circular to me.  My first thought was "grinder" but the cuts are too narrow for a grinder.  These have curved, perpendicular lines in them.  I must say, though, I've never inspected a drilled mark in steel to see what it looks like inside!

I suppose it could be a small diameter grinder stone, like on a dremel.  It would explain the irregular shapes.  I would think a drill would be quite uniform in the cut.

Drilled.png

Well, sorry for sidetracking your great thread Elielson!  Enjoy your journey with this blade!

22 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Looks circular to me.  My first thought was "grinder" but the cuts are too narrow for a grinder.  These have curved, perpendicular lines in them.  I must say, though, I've never inspected a drilled mark in steel to see what it looks like inside!

I suppose it could be a small diameter grinder stone, like on a dremel.  It would explain the irregular shapes.  I would think a drill would be quite uniform in the cut.

Drilled.png

Well, sorry for sidetracking your great thread Elielson!  Enjoy your journey with this blade!

Not at all Bruce, all comments are valid. 
Thanks for your help.

50 minutes ago, Babu said:

Yes Bruce dremmel could do that but what were they doing with it? 

We'll never know I guess. 

I would be surprised if that was worth the cost of polishing. Do you have a polisher in mind? 

Not yet, In Brazil nothing is easy.
Maybe the cost of polishing not worth, but it would be a pity to ignore this blade.

Maybe it was struck by the propeller of a helicopter.   Makes a good story though, doesn't it!  Or it could have been run over by a lawn mower if it were concealed in grass.  The marks are only on one side, correct?  It's as if the blade only struck it on one side.  

IMHO repatination won't help at all you have lost the steel and the marks will always be there.

Also repatination of a nakago looks like it's been messed with and faked up 

It is what it is and the years will add to the natural patina.

Lawnmower is a good call but it would have to be passed over five times. You also have no lead in or lead out of the blade of the mower. Think a grinder on the flat of its blade passed over that nakago. No way you would get that effect.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..