Hino Style -

Nice example, Justin. I am struggling to find anything sad.

As to the front Mekugi ana line-up. Sometimes a little extra squeezing will pull a barrel right down into the stock, or encouraging taps with a rubber hammer will get the whole thing to line up. No repairer worth his or her salt would finish work with things not lining up.

• Like 1

Thanks Piers

The stock repair bugs me. I was going to make a Dougane to hide it. Just need to get around to it. I think you told me once that ramrod is not original, the metal end being the giveaway. I've seen these ends on other guns so think it might have been a mass produced item easily repurposed back in the day when these were sold to the west.  As they say, it is unremarkable, but mine.

I also managed to get a whole bag of original brass fittings for a Sakai gun, and used one to replace one missing on this example.

Wherever your replacement brass fitting is, (not really checked!) you've done a good job, passing the initial eye test. As to metal cap ends on ramrods, I have an original example myself, but I think such ramrods came in towards the end of the Edo Period under renewed Western influence. Jan has done much interesting research on use of metal ramrods, but that is slightly off-topic here.

I have had two Hino guns. I believe the exhibition room in Hino there has been improved recently, and I'd love to pay them a visit. Anyone coming to Japan??? :badgrin:

May I echo Piers by stating that I struggle to find anything said on those pictures 🙂

I think it’s a sweet little matchlock that still retains a lot of its original charm. I would probably only fix the ramrod and then be done with it.

Let me add that if you feel to embarrassed owning such a matchlock, you already got my adress 🙂

Piers, I’m packing my bags as we speak...😉

Jan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..